We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help!

Hi Folks, I need your help...

I have been to the US many times and stayed in NYC a couple of years ago with some friends. However, I am planning to take my "special someone" to New York for a week in April.

My "Help" is... I do not know where to stay :( I have got a great flight £700 for the BOTH of us. I just do not know what hotel to choose and what area. Do you have any tips/suggestions. I have done my own searches etc and I have decided that a Hostel is a no no, I would like a nice hotel. If I could choose...

£50 per night would be GREAT (I know that is not possible though)

£75 per night would be OK

£100 per night it better be good

£125 per night is my max

I thank you all so much : )

J :)

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

Hi MrD08,

Welcome to NYC with your special someone. It will be special and April can be a very beautiful time of year. With 125 BP per night you should be able to find something, perhaps a little more may be required. There are many wonderful areas to stay in, so use your interesta as your guide, since our subway and bus routes will easily get you around.

A lot of good info are on the following links. Have fun !!!

mustseenewyork.com/maps/manhattan-hotels-map…

frommers.com/destinations/…21_maps.html

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

With that budget in April, I think I'd try priceline.

As it gets closer to your dates, you might find a good deal on quikbook.com

Pick the best hotel you can get that's within your budget and a good subway map and you'll be fine no matter where you stay.

What were you hoping to do on this trip? Foodies, theatre, museums, tours? Just walking about?

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

(don't forget to ADD taxes and fees to the base price of a hotel room; they're not included)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

Right now it's too early to see bargains for next April for hotels and depending on when you want to come, your budget may or may not be reasonable. If you're planning on coming for Easter or during the school holidays, it may not go far enough. Hotel prices work on supply and demand.

I agree that Priceline might be a good option for you depending on how many days you plan on staying. It's better for shorter stays. You should sign up for sale emails from travelzoo.com and travel-ticker.com but you'll likely have to wait a while to see offers for April.

As to where to stay, I agree that you should find the nicest hotel within your budget. As long as you're near a subway station, you'll be fine. If you'd like to book something now that's cancelable, that's a good idea too.

Finally, a lot of us on the forum are American and giving us a budget in gbp is not as helpful as dollars. You will have to add ~ 15% tax to any price you see on an American website.

quikbook.com

kayak.com

are the places I look.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!

Using todays exchange rate, here is the base price of hotel rooms before tax to meet your price including tax:

£50 per night would be GREAT (I know that is not possible though) $67/night (nothing decent in Manhattan at this price - prehaps a hostel)

£75 per night would be OK $106 (Might be able to get a B&B with shared bathroom)

£100 per night it better be good $140 (using priceline you might luck out)

£125 per night is my max $175 (You should be able to find a decent budget hotel)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,929 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!

This is someone Special you said. And, you saved a bunch on the airfare. May I suggest that you do your best to cut back on your everyday expenses starting now and add to your budget for your hotel, dining and activities in NYC?

It sounds like you are about to create one of a kind memories. So while you'll want to be a careful shopper with regard to the hotel rates don't cheat yourselves out of gettting a little luxury for your special trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!

I do agree with CapeCodCharlie - try to extend your budget. Failing that, www.priceline.com is the best way to go if on a budget and you don't need more than one bed. Although, stays of 7 days are hard to get via priceline, and you may need to bid in 2 lots - 4 days and 3 days, and this may mean changing hotels.

Deals will be released for April in January or February of next year. Right now hotels will only show rack rates. Check

www.quikbook.com

www.travelzoo.com

In future, please post prices in USD. It's a lot easier for us to help you.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!

Hey Guys

Thank you so much for all of your replies. Sorry about posting in UK pounds, I forgot that it's for everyone here not just us brits!

As for the tips. I have got a bit saved and I am prepared for the trip etc.

I have been doing some research on trip advisor and other sights and got one for £100 per night (hmm I think around $150ish for you guys?)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d64120…

What do you think of the area? Last time I stayed in NYC I stayed in the Ramada.

And yes... this trip will be special, my first holiday with my partner, I want to make it great for him. : )

Thank you for all your help and advice so far.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!

*sites not sights doh!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!

Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea is a good option if it fits your budget. You might also like to check the Chelsea Pines.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d122020-…