We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

Tourists from the EU who are tempted to buy counterfeit good while in New York (or anywhere else for that matter) may not be aware of the tough penalties they could face when they arrive home. The same penalties would apply, of course, to anyone else taking such goods into the EU.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8215519.stm

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

This is a useful reminder that the dangers of buying counterfeit goods does not end once the purchase has been made. Although there is probably less than a 5% chance of being caught with your counterfeit goods as you go through customs, the odds become shorter the more you travel, and customs officers do keep an eye out for this kind of thing. I assume they're trained to look out for stuff like that in the US too.

A snooty neighbour of mine had a fake Louis Vuitton bag confiscated, though no other action was taken. She has a lot of 'designer' stuff and she'll no longer be able to get away with pretending it's all genuine:-) I shall enjoy telling her that if she'd been in France she could have gone to prison.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

I just was in Italy in May and when we checked into Rome hotel we were handed a flyer about this and they were very serious about it.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

great post...hope you don't mind but i borrowed your article and posted on the Venice forum...

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

Hey what I find so puzzling about the Chinatown counterfeit handbag trade is ..... everyone yells and scream and complains about it funding terroist and eveything ..... but nothing is done about it. I have never ..... never ..... let me repeat NEVER been to Chinatown when I didn't see a gaggle of women walking around with big black trash bin liners filled to the brim with stuff. Now heaven knows I'm not a police detective and I don't even watch 'CSI'...... but what do you think they have in those black plastic bags? Their laundry? Groceries? Their CD collection of 'Pat Boone's Greatest Hits'?

And that's what really so sad about the whole charade ..... those ladies think they're pulling off a secret score ..... but in reality everyone knows there's fake handbags in those trash bin liners ..... but I guess nobody cares. Let me ask you ...... how many women that you know like to walk around carrying a big black plastic trash bin liner? Now ..... here's where it gets tricky (you may need your Sherlock Holmes cap & pipe now)..... how many women in Chinatown walk around carrying those black plastic trashy liners?

I was waiting for the train at Canal Street and there were groups of mostly women & younger teens ..... all carrying black plastic trash bin liners. So how about this ..... maybe put a police officer at the entrance to the train stations around Canal Street and ..... actually ..... (heaven forbid) ..... look in those black plastic trash bin liners?

Or ..... an alternate plan ..... have the couterfeiters spend an hour with this fashion designer Merlin Castell ..... locked alone in a room .... no windows or doors ..... and see how long they last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMyilW2nkiU

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

"So how about this ..... maybe put a police officer at the entrance to the train stations around Canal Street and ..... actually ..... (heaven forbid) ..... look in those black plastic trash bin liners?"

We have these "pesky" Constitutional provisions re: stops/searches/seizures, governmental confiscation of property without due process of law, etc.

Additionally:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2763928…

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

Yeah ..... but what about 'probable cause'?

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

Pat Boone...never heard of her ?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8dx0oE--VI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3rwVZIZA8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8sdlK2cWc8

Yikes ..... now my ears hurt!

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

OOPS...couldn't tell the surgery. On amore serious note, is it only visitors from the E.U. (notably Brits)? Or is this pandemic ?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tough action on those taking counterfeit goods into EU

Reading this makes me glad that I don't give a flying fig about designer stuff, real or not.

I guess I am an oddity as a woman- I don't care one little bit about designer purses, real or otherwise. I don't even use a shoulder purse- can't stand the straps digging into my shoulders, or pulling my robes out of place (They do!). I've got a leather belt pouch (NOT a fanny pack) which does just fine.

Should any of my female friends or relatives make it to NYC before I do, I will be sure to warn them about the knockoffs.

Whenever I get to NYC's chinatown, knockoffs are gonna be the LAST thing I'll want. Yawn. Give me a vintage wedding kimono any day.