We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money for New York City

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending Money for New York City

Hi all,

I am going to the USA for one month 31st Oct to November 28th.

We are doing

LA - The London Hotel

NYC - The Ravel Hotel

Vegas - Ceasers Palace

Miami - Mondrian

DC - The Donovan Hotel

How much spending money do you think I need. The accmodation is paid for. I am just wondering how much I will need for food on average. We arent going to really splurge out with resteraunts and things like that, we decided we would rather have nicer hotels then eat out all the time.

I have put aside about 15 thousand Australian Dollars for the trip... 4 weeks. My partner has 15 thousand too ( so 15 grand each AUD). I am just getting worried with this fluctuating exchange rate. I asked my sister who has been before and she said I "should" be okay. I really want to refrain from putting anything on my credit card.

I hope I can get some insight.

Thanks

S

Wakefield, England
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money for New York City

That's around $25k based on todays exchange rate...

Er, well, yes, that should be plenty for a month.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Money for New York City

Do you mean you are going to carry around with you that amount of cash? if so I don't think that is really too smart...if it were me I would just bring a small amount of cash and put the rest in your bank account and either take out the cash from a ATM and or use your CC for purchases to be paid for when you get back home...you have done a great job at saving the money so it is already there...you still know that is all you want to spend but just not have it in your hands.... there will be some fees with atm's the exchange rate will fluctuate but IMO it is still the best way to go...just remember to tell your bank and credit card company you are traveling so to all those places so they don't put a stop on anything...

Ireland
Level Contributor
925 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money for New York City

Check out the types of things you want to do, you haven't said what they are, look up entry fees or costs of those. Check out menus on menupages.com or opentable.com and see what food costs are if you do eat out. There is something there for every budget in the food department in the USA. Use the different forum search boxes to get ideas for those cities. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, I'd say you will be ok.

Why don't you want to put anything on your credit card? How do you intend paying for things? Have you a Maestro/ Eftpos card? Make sure you look up rates of commission on the different cards. I wouldn't hold a lot of cash.

Almost more importantly, I notice you're staying in Long Island City in New York. Is your hotel near a subway?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Money for New York City

Never heard of Ravel Hotel, so I looked it up. if it lives up to the website, it should be great.

Found something on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjW7fGWefo

I checked 2 nights in september. I dont see how they can do it for that rate. Its out of the way to get to by public transport, but for the roof garden alone, looks like its worth it. I"m not sure why you picked that hotel instead of looking for something in Manhattan.

As to the money....I would not carry that kind of money with you. I WOULD use Credit cards. You have the money set aside, so paying when you get back is not a problem. I would use ATMs even though you will likely pay a fee of up to $3 USD for each withdrawal - so dont take small withdrawals.....I would take up to the maximum.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
444 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Money for New York City

!!!

Sounds like plenty to me. I don't think I could possibly spend that much in a month. Unless I were to buy a car. Which would be dumb as I can't drive!

Yeah, no way take cash. You have to declare anything over US$10k anyway, even if it's travelers cheques/checks. Anyways, one way of getting rid of all your cash quickly may be to carry it around with you ;o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Money for New York City

Here in the UK, you can obtain a pre-pay dollar credit card that allows you to pre-load a standard Visa card with cash before you leave for the USA. Obviously, you're tied to the exchange rate at the time of purchase, but you can recharge the card on-line very easily from your home bank account.

This has several advantages over a normal credit card, in that you always pay in dollars, so don't have to worry about conversion charges, you can't overspend on your card, because it simply won't let you and you don't have to carry wads of cash around with you. The card I use is from CaxtonFX and is free to use in the USA and there's no charge for cash withdrawals at ATMs in the USA. It's worth checking to see if there's a similar card that you can obtain in Australia.

Regards,

John

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Money for New York City

MsSKaris --

Have you checked out the reviews of The Ravel on www.yelp.com? Since you seem to be someone with a good-sized budget and are staying at very nice hotels in other cities, I would recommend that you give serious consideration to changing your reservations to a hotel in Manhattan. Although I am not personally familiar with The Ravel, the reviewers say the website is misleading, transportation to and from Manhattan can be difficult and time-consuming and that, although there are beautiful views from the rooftop bar, it is located adjacent to some disreputable public housing projects.

Again, I have no first-hand experience with this hotel, but perhaps you need to do a little more "investigation". Remember, you will be spending very little time in your hotel room, but you do want to be able to conveniently get around the City. Also, since you plan on shopping, it would be so nice to have a hotel room in Manhattan proper, so that you would have a place to drop off packages and freshen up before dinner. Maybe just plan to visit the rooftop bar at Ravel one night instead of making it your home base for your entire visit.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip -- and definitely do not bring so much cash !

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending Money for New York City

As a follow-up to my previous post, one way in which the Ravel website is "misleading" are the distances they give to major attractions in NYC. Those distances are "as the crow flies" -- in other words, you'd have to be wearing a jetpack to get from the hotel to those locations using those distances. To reach Manhattan from Ravel, you have to first cross the Queensboro (59th Street) Bridge using ground transportation or take the subway (which according to the website is at least 10-13 blocks away). So what might appear to be a short stroll away, will actually take some time and effort for you to get to from LIC.

Wirral
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending Money for New York City

What is the US custom for bringing maximum amount of money? Is it 20,000 USD? If so, you may have to face paying tax if you wish to carry over 25k in cash.

I think it is stated on the green card if you ticked that you have over 20K.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending Money for New York City

its $10000 at the moment