We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner at Carmines?!

chicago
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner at Carmines?!

Looking for a place to go to dinner and when visiting in March thought about carmines but it was just my boyfriend and I and read that this restaurant is NOT a place for just two ppl as it is family style. We will be traveling back to nyc labor day weekend and I will be with a total of 5 ppl how is the food at Carmines is it worth going to or is there better choices that are in the same category as this restaurant also which location does everyone prefer we are staying @ the Westin in Times Square!

1. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 18:22
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

Tannie ..... yes the portions at Carmines are family size platters. I went with like a group of 12 people so we had several dishes but even with 5 people you'll probably only need a couple of plates. Anyway ..... it would not be my first choice.

Now I know you've been to NYC before and I would really suggest you start getting away from Time Square. One it's a tourist trap and two there's better places in NYC.

For Italian food with you & your boyfriend ..... here's a few suggestions;

Al Di La ..... on Fifth Avenue in Park Slope

Lupa ..... Mario Batali (wont break the bank) place on Thompson Street in Greenwich Village

Bamaonte's ..... hipster Williamsburg Brooklyn

Po ..... the location on Cornelia Street in greenwich Village

La Zie ..... Chelsea

belive me ..... you'll be so much happier when you get below like 42 Street & 7th Ave.

Here's a thread I started that list restaurants mentioned by Frank Bruni the retiring food critic of the New York Times. It's a really nice list of all kinds of food.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3053937…

[Whoops ..... that last above deletion was me ..... due to spelling errors]

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

The secret at Carmine's is to not order too much as the portions are huge and can be shared... It certainly is not the best Italian food in the city or even the area but it is better than some and you will get to meet lots of tourists since it is well known.

If you are looking for good Italian food you might consider Lattanzi on 46th street between 8th and 9th. I also like Barbetta on the same street..

www.restaurantrownyc.com

chicago
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

If it were just my boyfriend and I traveling I would def be interested in one of these restaurants but the people that are joining us for our trip are someone picky eaters thats why carmines came to mind as they have standard food items such as spagetti meatball veal chicken parm calamari etc any restaurants other then carines that you feel cover that menu that dont have unique style of food items!? ps has to have tiramsiu!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

Some people love Carmine's. My biggest problem with it is the noise level. For what you want, I'd head to the village to Monte's

montestrattorianyc.com/menu/menu_list_dinner…

or Villa Mosconi

http://www.villamosconi.com/2menu/menu.htm

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,273 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

I second either Monte's or Villa Mosconi. Both owned by the same family. Monte's is a personal favorite, and is old school Italian - exactly what your friends are looking for.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

I had the worst dining out experience ever at Carmine's but, as nywhiz says, some people love it....

chicago
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

hello NY whiz so from my understand is Monti and Villa Mosconi the same ownership? what would be the differnce between the two? do you recommend one over another and are they relatively close to eachother?

9. Re: Dinner at Carmines?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 06:17