We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

Springfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

My wife and I will be in NYC 8/31 - 9/5. She really wants to eat at Tavern on the Green. So, here is my question:

I want to do a carriage ride the same day/time as Tavern on the Green since they are essentially located in the same place (right?). So, we would like to eat and then go to the carriage ride, or vice-versa. So, when is the best time to do this? Day or night? What would you suggest? And how late do the carriage rides run?

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

I know this might seem like a classic NYC day, but 'Blech!' to both ideas.

TOTG has lousy food.

The carriage rides are very controversial and I can't imagine anyone paying the outrageous fees to experience them.

Why not just have a drink at TOTG (so she can say she's been there) and then go to The Boathouse in Central Park for better food? You could take her for a gondola ride in the Pond instead.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

The people running the TOTG have just lost the license because it is so bad.. Unfortunately for you the new people (the same that run the boathouse) will not take over until years end; you should avoid that place like the plague...

the same with the horse and carriage rides..

Neither of these things are real New York you are about 20 years too late..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

If you're determined to do this, I'd go for the carriage ride late afternoon and then have the driver drop you at Tavern on the Green for an early dinner. Sitting outside on the patio if you can get a table there will make it seem more special. Just don't expect a lot from the food or service. The first review here suggests just ordering several appetizers and then dessert. That's an idea.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

You might also consider a pedicab ride. There is info. here:

tripadvisor.com/…19729451

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

If you want to take the carriage ride after being at TOTG, there are usually a couple waiting there for fares. The main place to get carriages is on 59 Street and 5 Avenue.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

Can I ask why the carriage rides are viewed as so controversial?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

The controversy stems from many allegations that these horses are not treated properly. Similarly, diners at Tavern on the Green are also not treated properly. I'd rethink this one.

How about a wonderful dinner at The River Cafe followed by a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Wonderful food, a real New York experience, and guaranteed cruelty free. [Except for those animals who you may eat.]

conn
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

the PETA crowd does not like working animals.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

I'd almost do a carriage ride JUST to upset the PETA crowd. That would bring me pleasure.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions on Tavern on the Green and Carriage Rides...

Hi AndyatLaw !!!

There are certain experiences that are very unique to NYC, and it looks like you are interested in two of them.

Tavern on the Green is an institution in a beautiful location. Most people frequent for the atmosphere, which is kinda cool, with the food being secondary, which is true of many restaurants that have great views or are in unique locations.

So, have a great time, enjoy the carriage ride, and enjoy being a tourist in NYC !!

nypost.com/seven/08302009/news/regionalnews/…