We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
192 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

Instead of parking at the airport I was thinking about parking at the Port Imperial Ferry lot, taking the ferry over then taking the subway to JFK. Trying to save money on parking (for a week) but I'm not sure it will be worth the hassle.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thank you!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

To clarify, are you flying out of JFK but you live in Williamsport, PA?

Would the airfare be that much more expensive to fly from a PA airport (Pittsburgh or Philly) to JFK and then to your destination?

Are you prepared to schlep luggage during this adventure?

Not knowing why you'd need this arrangement, I'll try to direct your question anyway.

There are lots of posts on this forum about parking in NJ and getting to NYC. Here are a few:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k639186-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k350084-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2475348…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2527468… Parking_in_Jersey_City_and_transferring_to_NYC-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2051827…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2170893…

If you can get to Penn Station, then you can easily take the LIRR to the Jamaica Station of AirTrain. Then, get on the AirTrain to JFK. That will cost around $12.

For $7, you can take the E train from Penn STation to Sutphin Boulevard (which is where the Jamaica station is) and catch the AirTrain there.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

Ferry bus to Port Authority bus terminal, downtown A train to Lefferts Blvd then Q10 bus to the aiport. $2.25 per person and a real schelep, figure at least 2.5 hours for the trip from the ferry pier 79.

BTW it's a terrible idea. The airtrain (take the uptown E train) costs an extra $5 per person but is easier, and just parking at JFK is the easiest, no charge for the airtrain from the Long Term lot $15/day

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

Well it is much cheaper to fly out of JFK than PIT or PHL (using Jet Blue).

Anyway, even though we were just going to take carry ons, this is sounding like a huge pain in the but. I don't mind driving to the airport and parking there...but I did read that long term parking is now $18/day. This is what I was trying to get around...parking at Port Imperial is only $8 & $10 per day. Perhaps it's not worth all the extra hassle...

Thanks for your input!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

kdenelle - can you leave out of Newark? Would that make sense at all or be cheaper?

Just out of curiosity, what's the price difference bwn leaving out of JFK or a PA airport? And maybe the long-term parking rates at Philly or Pittsburgh are lower? (Heck, we drive to NJ to get gas b/c it's cheaper, so I understand penny-pinching.)

Williamsport...
Level Contributor
192 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

It would cost nearly double to fly from PHL to Cancun than from JFK (using Jet Blue). Jet Blue flies out of PIT but it does not fly to CUN from there so we would have to then fly to JFK anyway. And since we are basically a four hours drive from all three cities the best and cheapest way is out of JFK.

For example flying Jet Blue from JFK to Cancun will be less than $600 round trip for 2 people but if we flew out of PHL it would be nearly $1200 for 2 people (US Airways).

I'm really disappointed about how much the long term parking at JFK went up since 2006...it was only $9 a day then!

6. Re: Fastes (and cheapest) subway route from Pier 79 to JFK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 08:16