We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

philadephia --> washington --> New York

hong kong
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
philadephia --> washington --> New York

I and my husband will have a holiday at USA. I will arrive philadephia on 21 Oct 2009 4PM and leave from New york on 31 Oct 2009 10 AM flight back to HK . Travel day is 22 - 30 Oct(total of 9 days).During these 9 days, I would like to travel from phildephia --> Washington --> New York --> leave

Any advise how long should I stay at each city and what to see, welcome for any route provided. I prefer to use bus/coach/ train. Also anywhere to see autumn leaves ??

thanks a lot

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

Much depends on your interests, but I'll make some suggestions. I'm going to assume that you've never been to any of these cities.

I'd stay in Philadelphia for two nights (21 & 22 October) and then take a bus or train to Washington on the 23rd (departure time can vary depending on how long your 'must see' list is for Philadelphia). In general, the train (Amtrak) is more comfortable and more expensive.

Some people are happy to see a few highlights in Washington and leave after a day; some could happily spend a week or more. I'll suggest spending two or three nights in Washington. If you leave Philadelphia early on the 23rd, you might be ready to head for New York on the 25th. If you get to Washington later in the day, I think you might want to stay until the 26th.

Then head for New York on the 25th or 26th. For this trip, you can go by bus, train or plane. You can balance the various factors to suit your own needs and preferences.

Flying is fastest and most expensive, and requires a trip to/from the airport, security checks, etc. Right now, a one way ticket (DCA to LGA) on October 26 costs $90. The train (Amtrak's Northeast Regional -- not the somewhat faster but far more costly Acela) is cheaper ($49 per person as of this writing) and takes about 3.5 hours. The bus takes over four hours but can cost as little as $8 (just saw that price quoted at the Megabus website).

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,955 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

I would spend the 22nd in Philly, and then on the 23rd travel to DC. Spend the second half of the 23rd, the 24th, and 25th, in DC. On the 26th, travel back up to New York, and spend the second half of the 26th, and the 27th, 28, and 29th in New York. Leave on the 30th.

The bus between DC and New York will take at least 4.5 hours. The train should take 3.5. If you bought bus tickets right now from megabus.com, it would cost $8 a person. Amtrak tickets will cost $50. I personally, would take the train. It's a much more comfortable ride, and has nicer views, and it would be worth the money to me. Not everyone would agree. (I really, REALLY hate buses.)

The discount bus companies I would normally recommend (Megabus and Bolt Bus) don't run buses between Philadelphia and DC. The train will take about two hours, and the ticket, if bought now, will cost about $33.

Things to see:

In Philadelphia, you should see the Liberty Bell. If it were me, I would also want to see Franklin Court, Independence Hall, and the Art Museum. You may not care for the Art Museum, and maybe you're not interested in Benjamin Franklin. The Liberty Bell is a must. Reading Terminal Market is also very interesting: it's hard to describe, but it's basically a big matket of stalls where they have lots of different kidns of food, many of it sold by Amish people.

In DC: The Capital; the White House; the Lincoln, Jefferson, and Washington Memorials; the Smithsonian; and anything else that interests you. The Holocaust museum there is phenomenal. The Spy museum is highly regarded. It really depends on what you're interested in.

In New York: everything. :)

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

And you can see Autumn Leaves when you arrive in New York....it does depend, but that should be an ideal week....just go to Central Park and you should be thrilled; if you were not going to Philly and DC i would have suggested taking a two day trip North to New England or at least Connecticut to see the leaves in the countryside, but i think you will be traveling quite enough and you should spend the entire end of your trip in the city

hong kong
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

thanks for your valuable advise,

For the train and coach, Is it the same price buying online in advance or at the station.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

If you have not already booked your tickets you should change your order of cities to

Washington- Phil- NYC instead of Phil-Wash-NYC

Other wise you will be doubling back through Phil and will incur a more expensive train ride. It is always best on a multi city trip to lay them out either north to south or south to north you are kind of starting in the middle. If you have already booked it so be it

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

You should buy tickets for either a train (Amtrak) or the bus (Bolt, Megabus) as soon as possible: the prices go up the closer you get to the date of departure.

Information about discounted Amtrak fares here:

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

hong kong
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

How to get to Connecticut ?

thanks !!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,955 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

Connecticut is a big place. Where in Connecticut? Some of it is accessible by MetroNorth train, some of it by Amtrak train, some by bus, and some only by car.

However, if you've only got nine days total and you want to see three major cities on the east coast, you don't also have time for Connecticut.

hong kong
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

Thanks, mainly I want to see Autumn leaves

Any Country side (day trip) of New York can see Autumn leaves.

thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: philadephia --> washington --> New York

They have leaves in Philadelphia, Washington DC, and NYC too. You do not need to make a day trip to the country to see this, especially considering that your schedule is stretched thin enough as it is.