We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest a hotel for me

Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Please suggest a hotel for me

Ok, this is the question I never thought I'd have to ask, but...

I booked the Casablanca back in June for me and my 18 year old daughter in December. Now, my husband has decided he wants to come with us, and of course, the Casablanca has no rooms with 2 beds for our dates.

So here's my info:

~Arriving December 18 for 5 nights

~3 adults (2 beds)

~Prefer midtown, since it's our first trip and we're doing lots of shows.

~Budget around $300/night (average - from what I've seen so far, most rates are higher the first 2 nights, then drop somewhat around the 20th)

I've looked at the Comfort Inn Midtown and the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North and they both seem okay, but was wondering if the experts had any other suggestions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

I'm not seeing a room for 3-4 people at the Comfort Inn Midtown for less than $450? The Hampton Inn Times Square North would be fine -- and it would give you 2 queen beds instead of double/full ones.

I'll also suggest you consider the Belvedere, more of a distinctive "New York City" experience than staying in the Hampton Inn, and would also give you a kitchenette pantry with microwave, mini-refrigerator and coffee maker. Depending on when you log on, it may be cheaper to book it via Hotels.com.

http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93569-R…

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

I just booked the Hotel in/at Times Square for late October - well within your $300 range. It is an AppleCore hotel they have a couple of others - check it out.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

Already checked the AppleCore hotels for them, Poppa :-) Cheapest room for 3 people is $350/night, before taxes

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

I just checked the Grand Hyatt, and they have a room with 2 double beds for an average of $258.75 for your dates. It has to be paid at the time of booking and is non-refundable. I have stayed there three times and love the location. It is connected to Grand Central Terminal, so getting anywhere in Manhattan is easy. You are a 10 minute or less walk to Times Square and theaters. There is also the S (Shuttle) train that runs between GCT and Times Square. Only problem I have with the hotel is that the bathrooms are very small. Other than that, the location is hard to beat.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

You can get a 1 bedroom suite at the Affinia 50 for $290/night plus tax with 1 or 2 beds. While it may not be as close to theaters as the others you mention, it might be nice to have some extra space and privacy. If proximity to Times Square is more important to you, the Hampton Inn Times Square North has rooms with 2 queen beds and is well located and well regarded. The Hilton Garden Inn across from it is sometimes cheaper and includes free cont/b/f.

A 1 bedroom suite at the

beaconhotel.com

on the upper west side is cheaper than the Affinia 50 but daughter will have to sleep on sofabed in living room. (At the Affinia 50, you'd theoretically have the choice of 2 beds in bedroom or bed and sofabed.)

Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I have AAA, so the Comfort Inn gives me an average of $368/night. The Hampton is approx. $315/night average (those are both after taxes).

I really like the look of the Belvedere, but the reviews are mixed, so I'm not sure about it?

The Hotel is giving me about $414/night tax included. I could probably stretch the budget to $400 if it was worth it. Do you think it is? It also says, "AAA, AARP or Seniors discount available for this hotel!(show ID card at check-in, discounts cannot be combined)" but it doesn't allow me to see what the discount is. It sounds like you won't know until you check in?

The Grand Hyatt looks good, but the AAA is only for a king bed. I really don't want to get locked into a decision this early, but the regular rate is only about $308/night, so that's definitely a possibility.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

I think the Beacon or the Affinia 50 with 1 bedroom suites is far better and cheaper than the ones you're considering but maybe you hadn't seen my post before you posted.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

The AAA/AARP discount has been 10% (off the room rate) at the Hotel At Times Square. It's not worth $350-400/night imo, and you have other fine/even better alternatives.

Unless one of you has difficulty with walking (or the weather is really bad), the Affinia 50 is within comfortable walking distance of Broadway theatres. If your daughter's unhappy at the prospect of a sofa bed at the Beacon (my friend pronounced it fine when a group of us stayed there earlier this year), you could also call the Beacon to check if a 1-bedroom suite with 2 double beds has opened up and ask to be put on the list for that kind of suite.

Alabama
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

NYWhiz, I wasn't ignoring you - we must have been posting at the same time! I'll go check those out now.

CC, thanks for the info about AAA discount. None of us have any problems walking so the Affinia 50 is a definite possiblity. As for DD, she's the youngest with 2 older brothers, so she ALWAYS gets the sofa bed - LOL. However, she'd probably prefer a real bed this time, since the trip is to celebrate her high school graduation & birthday...we'll see.

10. Re: Please suggest a hotel for me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 06:20