We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline should I try it again?

NapTown
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline should I try it again?

I am wanting to goto the NFL draft.

I did a Priceline thing and just did a Manhattan island search and fornd a a deal for

a 4 star hotel for 50 a night ( I assume thats without taxes which are like 40 extra)

so for 4 nights 4 star hotel estimated 400 ish

Has anyone had the name your own price thing work?

I want to stay at the Affnia Dumont but for 1 person its expenive...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

Your post makes no sense. No 4 star hotel in Manhattan will be $50/night and your math doesn't add up either. It's impossible for tax to be $40/night on a $50/night room. Hotel tax in NYC is ~ 15% and that's on top of whatever you bid.

Start again, give us dates and type slowly. Yes, lots of people get great bargains using Priceline but depending on how popular those dates are, you may have to pay $150/night or more. It's possible to get a 3* hotel for $100/night or less.

betterbidding.com

has a wins calendar where you can see whether anyone else has gotten rooms for those dates and what they paid.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

They refer to 'taxes and fees', so the extra is more than than just the tax. I got the Hampton Inn SoHo for $87 per night, which cam out as a final cost of $105 per night, or around 20% above the bid price.

NapTown
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

If you do the name your own price thing on Priceline and put in $50.00 it takes it

the dates are 4-20-10 to 4-25-10

It allows you to put in what area.

I did all of them but Brooklin and Long Island.

I looked at the it again and it was 40 toatal for the taxes so I was wrong on that.

But still like you I thought it sounds fishy.

I just got back from NYC last month and love the city.

It is for a 4 star hotel.I got somewhat burned on me name your own price last time.I bid 50 with taxes the room came to 74 in Chicago.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

a four star hotel for $50?!

Clearly not right!

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

It sounds like you're putting in a offer for $50 not that Priceline has accepted it. You can make an offer for any amount you want but $50 a night for a 4* hotel in NYC is not realistic and won't be accepted.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

"If you do the name your own price thing on Priceline and put in $50.00 it takes it"

Have no idea what you're talking about. The fact that it allows you to type that price in doesn't mean you will win a hotel room at that price. As for getting "burned" in Chicago, there are taxes and "fees" on top of the price you bid. Read the fine print carefully. NYC is not Chicago. Getting a room for under $100/night in NYC is next to impossible. I also think it's waaaaaay too early to get a PL win for next April. There are no wins listed on the win calendar on betterbidding. I don't know what the max is you're prepared to pay, but you should post that b/c your expectations may be unrealistic.

Don't understand why you want to stay at the Affinia Manhattan if the draft is at Radio City.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

Rebel, spend some time on BetterBidding and Bidding4Travel before you plunge into Priceline. They have hotel lists for both Hotwire and Priceline, educate you as to the process and strategy, and have forum boards where you can receive more particularized assistance.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

Tax is an additional 14.75% + $3.50. Priceline will take your info for a bid, but I doubt you would get anything for $50 in manhattan. But a $50 room would come to $61 after tax, then there are priceline fees on top of that. READ all the fine print so you won't feel "burned" by this pricess. I did find some things around $75+tax in out of the way parts of queens.

NapTown
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

It accepted the bid of 50 a night plus the 40 for taxes for 5 nights it was 290.

If I had hit the next button it asked for my CC info...

I can walk to Radio City from the Affiana Dumont.

or the subway.

Round trip airfare was 88 so the way I had it figured it would be 5 nights round trip airfare for less than 450...

I to thought it was odd.

If you goto the hotel part of priceline and at the bottom you can name your own price.

You put in the location and amount you want to pay.

If your bid is to low it says there is no room for that amount.If it accepts the bid you read the disclaimer hit next and its yours.

I subscibe to the if its to good to be true it probaly is...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Priceline should I try it again?

Rebel,

Priceline won't accept a bid without your credit card info first. If it is asking for credit card info, it does not mean it has accepted your bid.

At that point you are still a long way from having a bid accepted.