We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly Broadway Question

Roseville...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Silly Broadway Question

I have a silly question about Broadway Shows. I will be back in New York, Oct. 2010. I would love to see West Side Story and I see that it is on Broadway now. The ticket sales only show through Jan. 31 of 2010 but I'm curious whether shows have finite runs or if they just hang on until interest wanes?

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly Broadway Question

West Side Story is an open-ended run, so it'll go when ticket sales drop. FYI, word of mouth on this is terrible! I have friends who paid top dollar and walked out.

There will be three new seasons on Broadway between now and your trip.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly Broadway Question

Some have finite runs. Some run until they stop being able to sell enough tickets. There's no way of knowing whether West Side Story will still be running in a year, and even less was of knowing whether the current cast will still be in it.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly Broadway Question

It is the latter in most cases... sometimes shows will advertise as limited runs but for the most part as long as people are coming and it is profitable they will be here... Thus far West Side Story has been getting good reviews and probably will keep going but Oct 2010 is a long long long way off.. just keep an eye on it and see if it shows up on broadwaybox or TKTS for discounted seats... it has already shown up there on a limited basis but before it shuts down and when they start shutting down there will be announcements that will give you a few months to know.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,268 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly Broadway Question

I disagree that word of mouth on West Side Story is terrible. Some people who are horrified that there's actually Spanish in the show now hate it. (Not saying that's why your friends hated it.) Other people love it. It's different from the original production. The actress playing Anita won a Tony that seems to be considered to be well deserved.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly Broadway Question

The only complaint I heard about it so far is that some of it is in Spanish and that upset some people...

small minded people no doubt.

walking out on a show after paying top dollar is not something that most of us could afford to do. I have heard nothing but good vibes about the girl who plays Maria. Less favorable comments about the current Tony.

I wonder what those people were expecting...Carol Lawrence and Larry Kirk perhaps ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly Broadway Question

I think it's highly unlikely West Side Story will still be playing in Oct. 2010.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly Broadway Question

nywhiz, I agree.

You can read more about show schedules and run extensions here:

www.playbill.com

Roseville...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly Broadway Question

Thanks everybody! I guess I like to plan ahead!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly Broadway Question

I think I'm missing something- why would anyone make a fuss about this show being in Spanish?

I only speak enough of the language to get by on vacation (which is to say barely any), but I don't think I'd have any trouble keeping up with the oh-so-complex plot of West Side Story.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Silly Broadway Question

I don't know what other traveling you do JD, but in April the producers announced that this show would begin a national tour in Fall 2010, no cities or venues announced yet. Who knows, it might come your way, so it might be available to you even if it does not sustain its currentt run on Broadway.

I saw this show in August, and while it fell a little short of my expectations (some of the vibrancy and passion was missing or seemed forced in my opinion) I enjoyed it a lot, and would still recommend it. I loved how they made it more authentic with the use of Spanish language.