We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report-6 Manhattan Nights

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
219 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
trip report-6 Manhattan Nights

What a fantastic time. I had 3 days visiting with friends and doing things on my own, then 3 days with my cousin and my aunt who turned 80.

Highlights were:

The schooner sailboat ride at sunset that left from Chelsea Pier and circled around the statue of liberty - really a fun thing to do. After that we walked along the new Highline Park which is really an amazingly peaceful place in the midst of the city. Saw the infamous 'naked' hotel - though no activity that night as there was a few nights prior.

Slices of pizza and walking through Times Square on several occasions - love the new pedestrian and bike lanes and tables and chairs for people to rest their weary feet.

Saw Billy Elliott and it was amazing. I wish I could see it again. Before theater we had tapas at Sangria 46 on restaurant row and the food we had was great. So was the Sangria.

Dinner at La Grenouille - great experience, atmosphere and good place to go for a special occasion but honestly I've had better service and food. I had the duck, and I am pretty particular when it comes to duck. The fois gras was delish and so was the souffle.

Spice Market, Pravda and Pastis and Vento were all great spots. And of course great music at Terra Blues. We went to the Gansevort before all the 'line' insanity, and that's a great time to go for a quick rooftop cocktail and people watching.

Filenes at Union Square! I had great success finding a few things that I'm very happy with. Wish I'd known about Bolton's - I think it's similar.

Thanks New York! And thank you for your suggestions on what to do and see, etc.

Patuli

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report-6 Manhattan Nights

Glad it was a good trip. I'm so sorry your experience at La Grenouille wasn't perfect since we sold it to you pretty hard. You had asked about a special occasion place for lunch. Did you do the dinner instead?

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
219 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report-6 Manhattan Nights

I wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else, La Grenouille was perfect for the occasion, yes - that was instead of a lunch place. Just 'foodie' wise was the only slight thing . . .

The place itself is beautiful and the flowers are gorgeous. Also, my aunts friend who lives in the city was impressed I picked the place ;-)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report-6 Manhattan Nights

Congrats on a successful visit and thanks for the happy recap!

Glad you enjoyed the Schooner sail. Those are lovely in good weather.

Don't regret not shopping at Bolton's. It ain't all that. It's fairly low quality stuff.

Filene's is like Ross Dress for Less, b/c they have discounted designer items. Next time you're here, you can try Loehmann's and TJ Maxx, too.

4. Re: trip report-6 Manhattan Nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 05:19