We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Lower Manhattan

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Lower Manhattan

Hi,next month we are planning to visit Yeshiva University in Lower Manhattan. What would be the best airport to fly in? Right now fares are just about equal to LaGuardia or JFK. Also, we would need a hotel to stay in overnight. A nice family hotel would be great.

Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

Yeshiva is spread out all over the city. Do you have an exact address you need to get to and we can try to find a place close to there... but really because of our transportation system you can really stay almost anywhere.. what are your dates of travel, what is your budget per night how many beds do you need and why did you wait so long? It is going to cost you more with a late booking this time of year.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,337 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

La Guardia is closer to Manhattan but I'd pick the airport with best flight times/prices. If they really are the same, I'd go for LGA.

I don't know where in lower Manhattan the campus is but the Embassy Suites is a good family hotel downtown.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

Yeshiva's main campus is at 185th St. and Amsterdam Ave. which is far from lower Manhattan, so perhaps you're visiting its Cardozo School of Law at 55 5th Avenue, near Union Square?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

Thanks... No we are visiting the main campus but I when I googled it, it said lower Manhattan, so I guess I am wrong. We need the College for Men, not the women campus. There are three of us, and I was thinking Sunday thru Tuesday stay, between Nov. 1 and 3, or a week earlier if price allows. I really would prefer to stay with a short distance to travel whether it would be a by subway or cab.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

I am still confused as to where you want to go. Do you have an exact address of where you want to go. Like many urban schools Yeshiva is spread out all over the city and they list 6 "campuses". Do you want the admissions building or what. Once you have the exact address we can put you pretty close and nothing is too far by subway if you are on the right side of town (east versus west)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

Did you know that it's hosting an admissions Open House for potential male students on November 22nd, maybe you'd prefer to come then?

www.yu.edu/admissions/page.aspx…

If not, please know that you do not want to come to NYC on November 1 -- that is the day of the NYC Marathon and it's very crowded then.

Additionally, the Wilf campus (for the men's college) is indeed the one at Amsterdam & 185th Street, in the far northern reaches of Manhattan in what is known as the Washington Heights neighborhood. There are no hotels in immediate vicinity, so you'll need to revise your expectations in that regard & be prepared to do a rather tedious commute to the campus.

Again, it would be useful for us to know how many of you there will be and the number/kind of beds you will need.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

A very good hotel possibility for you: the Hotel Newton at Broadway & W. 95th Street. It's not luxurious, but clean, comfortable and moderately priced, in a pleasant, largely residential neighborhood -- and just steps away from the W. 96th St. station for the #1 subway train that goes directly up to the subway stop closest (W. 181st St.) to Yeshiva's main campus. I just checked the #1 train's timetable and the ride is shorter than I thought it might be, less than 20 minutes.

Best prices almost always found on the hotel's own web site:

http://www.thehotelnewton.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d112039-…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

Thanks... Now that I know that Nov 1st is a bad day, what about Nov 2 thru 4th or should I plan for a week earlier? There are three of us, and we do need two double beds. I am not sure where Admissions office for the college for men would be. I guess Washington Heights it is, although it does look kind of seedy or I might be looking at the wrong information.

9. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 19:38
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Lower Manhattan

Don't know if the preceding week will mean less expensive hotel costs; you can plug the different sets of dates into the Reservations page at the Newton's web site to see if there's a difference in rates.