We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter visit?

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
winter visit?

I'd like to plan a long weekend in NYC with my family (husband and two kids, ages 11 and 13). I think I have a good idea on itinerary and where to stay (I'm leaning toward the Hotel Beacon), but can't decide between coming in January (MLK weekend) or February (Pres Day weekend). Thoughts?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter visit?

Of the two MLK weekend would be my pick, things will be less busy than Pres weekend. Hotel prices should be comprable, but prehaps a bit cheaper for MLK weekend.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter visit?

There usually are more tourists here for the President's Day holiday weekend than for Dr. King's birthday weekend, which arrives so soon after Christmas-New Year's. But feel free to pick whichever time works best (or cheapest) for you; odds are that February weekend won't be colder or warmer than mid-January -- although you won't see as much snow here as in Cleveland :-)

P.S. The recently renovated Beacon would be a great choice, especially if you spring for the 1-bedroom suite. The bedroom is good-sized (by Manhattan standards), excellent closet & drawer space for stowing away clothing & luggage, the best equipped kitchen of any hotel in Manhattan (I've stayed in virtually all of them) and the subway stop is just a block away.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter visit?

We've been in the city for our anniversary during Feb. school vacation several times. It was frigid one year and spring-like last February. Were you wondering about the weather or cost of visiting?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter visit?

Oops, I see my fingers weren't keeping up with my thoughts: that comment about the Beacon's kitchen should read "the best equipped kitchen of any suites/apartment-style hotel in Manhattan (I've stayed in virtually all of them)" -- I have not stayed in nearly every one of Manhattan's hotels :-)

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: winter visit?

Being from northeast Ohio, we're used to cold, wet, snowy weather, so we can deal with that. I was more concerned with cost, availability of hotel rooms, any other factors that I might want to take into consideration (didn't know if there was some huge event that happens in NYC on either of those weekends that brings throngs of tourists to the city).

My son's birthday is the Friday that we would arrive, would like to take family to Shrek, The Musical or The Lion King to celebrate -- thoughts on whether I should buy tickets for those shows ahead of time or take my chances on TKTS, since neither are new shows?

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: winter visit?

Question re: the Beacon -- the one-bedroom suite should suffice for a family of 4, yes?

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: winter visit?

They have a one bedroom suite with 2 double beds (rather than 2 queen sized beds). If you don't need bigger beds, it should work out just fine. Call to confirm the bed configuration so you're not stuck with one king bed when you arrive.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: winter visit?

The 1-bedroom with 2 double beds will be fine for your family -- there's a sleep sofa in the living room too.

Shrek should be available at a discount, but that is very unlikely to be true of The Lion King which is still very popular. If you can afford the cost of Lion King tix (via Ticketmaster), I'll encourage to spring for that. Much better show than Shrek.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: winter visit?

I have read nothing but fabulous reviews of The Lion King, so it sounds like I should order those tickets ahead of time. Maybe we'll get lucky and can also get some cheap tix to Shrek while in town.

Next question, the Sony WonderLab or whatever it's called -- worth it?

10. Re: winter visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2010, 06:20