We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top of the rock

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
top of the rock

Hi guys! If i buy tickets online for a certain entry time...is there a length of time your allowed to view? If not,how much time should I plan on there? Thanks!

belfast/northern...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top of the rock

when we visited we could spend as much time as we wanted there. We only came back down cause it was so cold.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top of the rock

Fabulous views, stay as long as you want. We were just there for 1 1/2 hrs with relatives visiting NYC for the first time. Try to time it for sunset and then see the lights go on in the City all around you.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: top of the rock

I think we spent about an hour and a half up there. If we hadn't had dinner reservations we would have stayed forever. A definite must do in our opinion. ENJOY and make sure your camera batteries have plenty of life. The pic possibilities are endless....

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: top of the rock

Just back from NYC too, went to the TOR, loved it! My advice wuld be for you to not bother to reserve online though - no need, and you'd do better to wait and see what the weather is doing. We arrived last Sat pm...a perfectly blue sky, so we decided it would make a great start to our trip. Walked to R Center, bought tix to coincide with the sunset (and used the $2 discount coupons they always hand out), snapped a lot of shots, got a great perspective on things, then stayed around to watch the city light up. Terrific!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: top of the rock

When is it the best time to visit Top of the Roc? We will be arriving on Satuarday Oct 10th around noon and leaving on Monday around 6PM

Thanks

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: top of the rock

Depends on the weather first, what you want to experience second. Like I said, we chose just before sunset so that we could enjoy it, plus the city lights afterwards. Getting there by noon on the first day will give you 2 shots at that. Bonne Chance!

Kent
Level Contributor
640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: top of the rock

definitely get there for sunset, and as mentioned, lots of camera battery and memory! I have endless piccies of the view, and going to get some more when i return February! visiting again as friends who i am with have never been to NYC

have fun!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: top of the rock

Thank you guys. Will try around Sunset. How far in advance do I need to arrive?

Also, is there a way to buy tickets in advance? Does it save any time or it will be the same line-up even though I have tickets?

London, United...
Level Contributor
768 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: top of the rock

We did the Empire State building first thing in the morning, no queues, then did the totr the same day as sunset approached, again no queues but busy on the observation decks, but not overcrowded.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: top of the rock

spartac...I wouldn't prebook tickets as I prefer to see what the weather is like before I go up but there is a website that does allow you to buy them (www.topoftherocknyc.com/welcome/default.aspx)

I'd get there about 30-45 minutes before sunset so you can get pictures in daylight too. You can check the times here(http://www.sunrisesunset.com/)

Just thought..there are often discount vouchers around at the ticket offices and there's one here too..(destinationcoupons.com/New_York/NYC/top-of-t…)