We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

Nashville
3 posts
Save Topic
Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

I'll be flying into Newark and staying the Marriott by the airport. Is transportation closeby? Is it relatively easy to get to the city and all of the sights from this location? Should I get a rental car. Oh, I've never been. So, all help would be appreciated. I definitely want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, see the Statute of Liberty and Ellis Island among other things and most importantly, shop. TIA

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

For your Birthday, you deserve to stay in NYC !!!

Nashville
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

Thanks, can you suggest any hotels that won't totally break the budget? I have about $1200 to work with staying from the 6th to the 9th of November.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

There are far far better locations to stay in NJ that are closer to Manhattan and cheaper to travel. Staying at the airport makes NO sense at all to visit NYC. But with a $1200 budget for only 3 nights, that's plenty to get a hotel right in Manhattan assuming you're just 1 or 2 people.

In Manhattan, the Best Western Seaport is just $169/night plus tax on quikbook.com It's a small hotel downtown not far from the Brooklyn Bridge. They include continental breakfast. There are loads of good hotels for ~ $300/night plus tax (which adds 15%) that would still fit your budget depending on how fancy you want to get.

There's shopping all over Manhattan and it's easy to get around so it's not necessary to stay near a particular area to shop.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

You are staying at the Marriott by the airport in Newark? This sounds less like a birthday and more like purgatory. Airport hotels are designed to be stayed in by those with early morning or late arriving flights. They are not a proper place for those who intend on visiting NYC.

Let's say you wanna walk around one night. In Newark? You spend a night on the town, and now have to get back. To Newark? You spend a day shopping, you are lugging bags and exhausted. You just want a nice meal, and to go back to your room and drop. In Newark?

Renting a car is the worst possible option. Have you ever driven in NYC. Like battling maniacal cabbies, hell-bent bikers and i-pod oblivious pedestrians. Do you like parking in a lot for $40 or would you prefer to park on the street, where you will be greeted with a thicket of parking regulation signs, and may up visiting our less than scenic towing pound.

What I'm saying here, is ditch the airport hotel and stay somewhere that affords the opportunities to do NYC without having to get back to Newark.

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

Hit up Hoboken. The only reason that hotel is convenet to even see downtown Newark is because it is within walking distance to the bus stop where you can get the 62 bus. Here are a few links

www.njtransit.com

www.visitnj.org

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.goironbound.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.redbank.com

www.ocnj.us

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

"Should I get a rental car."

Of all the things you've seen and hard about NYC, do any of them say "I want to drive in that?"

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

One thing is for sure.. you have never been to the city. With this plan you are going to Newark airport for your birthday... doesn't sound as romantic does it?

New Jersey is a nice place as AE Rules will tell you but if you want to come to the city then come to the city? Give us your dates of travel and your per night hotel budget adding in the 15% tax and we'll see where you can stay.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

Sorry I'm on cold pills today. I now see that you have already done that and you have lots of options in the city.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

In my experience, Manhattan hotels will cost 250$/night (decent ones). My only suggestion to this is : GO WITH REVIEWS. Some other kind posters gave good suggestions. I stayed at Afina 50 and it was a lovely suite.

If you are still willing to stay in New Jersey, stay at a closer Hotel. Hampton Inn (at the Meadowlands) was perfect when i went. It included a hot breakfast and the bus to times square passes right at the door. 15-20 min bus ride. With AAA discount it came to 100/night (on a slow season).

I've stayed 3 times (as an adult) in NYC. Twice in Manhattan, once in NJ. I preferred NJ and it never stopped me from exploring!

Nashville
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to NY for birthday, Staying in NJ

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions! So, since I'm going to stay in NYC what's the best airport to fly into?