We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

Bettystown, Ireland
Level Contributor
823 posts
Save Topic
AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

considering doing this with our 8 year old daughter as we cant devote the time to exploring the musuem ourselves on this trip.

has anyone done this that can tell me which "highlights" they hit?

my dd has watched "night at the museum" about a million times and really wants to see the famous t rex, the easter island head (dumdum!) and sacagwea (does she exist in the real museum?)

and if we have 3 hours, do you think it would be possible to take in an IMAX show or the space show as well? i have no concept of how big the museum is

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

As I understand it from their website, the highlights tour is not a set tour with specific things to see. They are led by volunteers and visit at least five halls of the museum in about an hour. I would recommend touring on your own so that you can guarantee seeing what you want to see. There are maps and floorplans on the website to help you plan where to go when you get there to make the visit more efficient. If you plan to do just the few things you must see, then you should be able to work in one of the shows, too.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

An Imax and / or Space show would be a wonderful beginning.

Bettystown, Ireland
Level Contributor
823 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

thank you!!

Middleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

I went with my son when he was nine a few years ago. We went online and figured out the must-sees (many of the same things you list since we'd recently seen the movie). We were in and out of there in three hours and saw everything we wanted. We didn't do the IMAX or space show but we did spend an hour at a special exhibit.

With that said, my son is not a 'read all the signs' museum type of kid. He didn't spend a ton of time looking at any one thing. I guess it all depends on your daughter.

Bettystown, Ireland
Level Contributor
823 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

thanks! no she isnt like that either, and neither are we. we stroll slowly around museums and dont stop unless something really catches our interest! she is a big fan of the movie so i'll do what you suggested and hopefully get to see as much as we can in the short time we have.

6. Re: AMNH highlights tour - what do you see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2010, 06:17