We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

Invercargill, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

Hi

Family of five adults want to travel cheapest way from JFK airport to Hotel in UpperWestside. Any ideas please

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

The cheapest way to do it is to walk. It should take you all day. Are you sure you want to do it the cheapest way?

The next cheapest is to take the bus to the subway, but because that is a long, uncomfortable trip, I will not give you any further information about it, although you may feel free to look it up yourself (the information, after all, is right there on the JFK Airport website's ground transportation page.) The cost will be $2.25 each, assuming you use metroCards, for a grand total of $11.25.

The third alternative is to take the AirTrain to Howard Beach, where you catch the A subway line. Take the A to Columbus Circle, where you change for ... well, I don't know what train you should change for, because your destination "Upper West Side" is awfully vague. You might want the 1, but then again you might want the C. Total cost will be $7.25 per peson, or a total of $36.25.

Far more sensible, though, would be to take a TAXICAB. Larger taxis can take 5 adults - just get in the taxi queue (do NOT accept a ride from anyone else who offers one!!!!!), and when you get to the head of the line, tell the dispatcher you need a 5 passenger cab. You will then be given the next one. The fare from JFK to any destination in Manhattan is a flat fixed rate of $45 + tolls (if any) + tip, or a total of about $60, which means that for 5 people it will come to about $12 each.

Of course, if you really do insist on the "cheapest" way, go ahead and hike it...

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

WHERE on the Upper West Side?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

The best and cheapest way which i did was to get a cab which is located right outside the two doors in front of the luggage carousel. They have mini vans for a party like yours we took one and we were only two people. The fare is sixty dollars including tip and toll. Be sure to stay away from people that try to approach you as you are getting your luggage for offers of a cheaper taxi. They can be quite aggressive.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,401 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

I disagree with GWB. Depending on where exactly on the Upper West Side you are going, the bus is fast, efficient, and convenient. It's certainly not uncomfortable - not sure where that came from. I think we New Yorkers have gotten spoiled by the AirTrain - the M60 bus, which runs directly from LGA to the Upper West Side, is a lovely and extremely cheap way to get to Manhattan from LGA. It'll be cheaper for all of you than ONE cab would be, and since you'll need two cabs for all five of you unless there's a minivan taxi around, I think that's a no-brainer. But, again, the Upper West Side is a big place - where exactly are you going?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,401 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

I'm embarrassed - I just realized that of course the question was about JFK, not LGA. I blame the fact that it's one in the morning. For five of you, the AirTrain to the subway is the cheapest reasonable method of travel. The exact transfers depends on where on the UWS you're going.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

Pas de probleme, BB. If they were going to the Upper West Side from LGA, the M60 would be ideal. From JFK, though, the Q10 takes about 45 minutes just to get to the subway -- and that means the last, easternmost stop in Queens on the Lefferts branch of the A. Ugh...

blackpool
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

Hi, i apologise for butting in on someone elses post but would you also recommend the Airtrain for just myself and my mother travelling to the

Hampton Inn Manhattan Times Square North

851 Eighth Avenue | New York, NY 10019 (midtown). I have tried unsuccessfully to work it out from the JFK website as was suggested on a previous post so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

blackpool
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

I forgot to mention that we will be arriving at Terminal 7.

Thanks

blackpool
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

I really am having a dizzy moment.. just checked my eticket and it doesnt actually state what terminal what we arrive at, it just states T7 on our return back to the UK.

Sorry!

NYC
Level Contributor
637 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from JFK to Upper Westside Manhatten

I live on the UWS, and having traveled back and forth from JFK numerous times, and having tried ALL ways ... this is the way I now go all the time ...

AirTrain to Jamaica

Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Penn Station

Then 1,2 or 3 to UWS. (1 is local stops, 2,3 express)

In my opinion, quickest, most cost effective, comfortable etc way. And I will continue to do this.

Now, I'm not sure what the deal is regarding Taxis ... if some of the larger cabs (like the small minivans) are allowed to take 5 people? That would be probably the best ... but not if max is 4 passangers.