We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

Has anyone stayed at

186,Prince St, New York, SOHO NY 10012

…craigslist.org/mnh/vac/1405149997.html

or

…craigslist.org/mnh/vac/1388209690.html

any advice on these two locations would be really good. The top one sounds way too good to be true...

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

If you are talking about renting short term for a vacation read this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2714292…

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

If you look at the right side of the screen you will see the second question under Top Questions about New York City -- "Is it true that vacation rentals are a bad idea in New York City?"

Please read it first -- and do continue to keep in mind the old saying about things that "sound too good to be true".

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

I think you should read the section in Top Questions "Is it true that vacation rentals are a bad idea in NYC?" and perhaps trawl through some recent similar posts. The New Yorkers here will undoubtedly tell you in no uncertain terms to give craigslist a big miss.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

Have you noticed that your first link was flagged fro removal from Craigs list?? That should be a hint as to whether you should rent an apartment for vacation!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

Not only are short-term apartment rentals illegal, the examples selected here look totally fake.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

Apartment rentals for less than 30 days here in NYC are almost always illegal. And outright scams abound on Craigslist; here's just the tip of the iceberg:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3017136…

Can't comment on the first ad you linked since it's already been wiped out, but the 2nd one is bogus. $150/night for a 2-bedroom apartment with a view of Central Park, fireplace and washer and dryer is ridiculously low. The text description doesn't match the photos: although the ad says the 2nd bedroom is equipped with "the most comfortable queen-size pull-out on the market", there is no such sleeper sofa depicted in the bedroom photos. And I'm almost positive I've seen those pics used in a Craigslist ad for an apartment supposedly in an entirely different area of Manhattan.

Ditch the idea of renting an apartment. NYC does have a fair number of apartment-style/suites hotels you can book with great peace of mind:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2022756…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

I missed the part about the washer/dryer and fireplace. I did, however, notice that they claim the apartment has a view of Central Park from midtown east.

I'm guessing the person who wrote the ads has never even been to NYC.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

thank you all for your help.. It did seem all too cheap and flashy. I had emailed someone before and the manner in which they responded completely set alarm bells ringing.

If a friend and I want to stay in NY for 3 weeks and be able to save money by cooking what would be the best way of doing it?

Cheers!

9. Re: have you used Craigslists for NY apartments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 05:19