We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

Hi im over 21 but i just want to know what id will b accepted apart from my passport i dont want to be carrying it around in case i lose it

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
346 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

I have in the past used my UK driving licence but from what I remember the Irish driving licence does not look as official as the UK one.

Safest bet is probably to carry your passport or be prepared to be refused entry.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

and also bring multiple ID's - they are very strict quite rightly in this area

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

Best bet is a passport and a smile.... As a former bartender I can tell you any question or sign of nervousness will stop you from being served. The host liability laws in New York are very very strict.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

Do you have a driver's license? no way would I carry my passport around with me. Its always in the room safe, and I have a photocopy in my camera bag. Have never had to use the photocopy for ID so dont know if it would be a problem - I dont get proofed when I travel (Im obviously old enough to be the bartender's mother in most cases) - only here in bars near NYU

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

Unfortunately, evening, many bars require international visitors to show passports. I haven't found that to be the case in NYC bars, but I have everywhere else throughout the US. An overseas d/l is not enough.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

I've entered numerous bars in different cities in the US (including New York) with my Dutch ID card. I was refused once, at a club in Boston, for not having my passport with me, but otherwise I was fine every time.

7. Re: Id requirements for pubs and clubs in ny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 05:17