We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the diamond hunter

ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
the diamond hunter

Hello,

i am travelling to NYC very soon and i am thinking abour proposing to my girlfriend while there.

I have read all about Hanikens and fortunoff's and will probably go to one of their shops, presuming i ask and she says yes.

Can anybody tell me whether it is better to have a ring made or buy a ring already made. Is there a big price difference (unfortunately cost is a factor). And also how long will it take to have a ring made. we only have a couple of days.

Would we get a better deal if i pay cash, as opposed to a card.

Many Thanks,

thediamondhunter :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the diamond hunter

FYI, Fortunoff's closed its doors last month. A number of TripAdvisor posters have been very pleased with Peter Germano & Sons.

http://www.peterjgermano.com

Another possibility, Engagement Rings Direct. Although primarily an internet retailer, they do have a shop in Manhattan and are well regarded on PriceScope forums, a favorite of diamond devotees. You could also go to PriceScope and read through the recent message boards there, or post a question of your own, asking for additional reco's.

http://engagementringsdirect.com

Since you're leaving soon, l urge you to buy ASAP "Diamonds - Antoinette Matlin's Buying Guide" (Gemstone Press). You need to educate yourself before you walk through the door of any jeweler, and this is the book my former father-in-law, who was in the jewelry business, thought every consumer should read before buying a diamond. Here's the link to the Amazon UK page for it:

amazon.co.uk/Diamonds-Antoinette-Matlins-Buy…

But are you certain she has her heart set on a diamond? Many women would actually prefer another stone -- they object on sociopolitical principles, or because of environment concerns, to buying a diamond and/or like colored gemstones better than diamonds. Plus, generally speaking, you can get more bang for your buck with a colored precious or semi-precious gemstone. And cost will be no small matter now that the price of gold has climbed to record levels again.

So if there's even a remote chance you two will be considering something other than a diamond ring, then buy instead Ms. Mitlin's general, larger guidebook on buying jewelry and gems which isn't much more expensive than her book on diamonds alone:

amazon.co.uk/Jewelry-Gems-Buying-Guide-Confi…

Best wishes!

dublin
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: the diamond hunter

We bought a Diamond and a ring in New York about 5 years ago! We got a really good deal and the person that we were dealing with got the diamond put into the ring within a couple of hours for us!

When we got home thought the Diamond became loose and we had to bring it too a Goldsmith to get it sorted!

The Diamond was fine and so was the Ring it turns out they just rushed it to have it ready for us, so just make sure you give yourself enough time for the work to be done properly !

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the diamond hunter

I would suggest you check out www.bluenile.com. On this site you will be able to get good pricing information for all size diamonds in all categories. Armed with this information you can make an informed decision. You may want to go to the diamond district on 47th street where you will see tons and tons of rings. As long as you purchase a certified stone and know what the going price is you should be fine.

It was many years ago when I did this but we had the stone and needed the setting. Along this one block you will find thousands of options for the setting.

4. Re: the diamond hunter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 17:13
dublin
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: the diamond hunter

"The conversation should go something like this "honey do you want to go get a slice of pizza, a kinish, a Nathan's Hot Dog or a Diamond.... If she chooses any of the other choices you know where you stand and it's only cost you a few bucks. No harm no foul."

bilmin09 I didn't realize they were the options I could have given I should have just bought the Hot Dog! Would have been cheaper! ;)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: the diamond hunter

My wife and I have been customers of Germano's for over 20 years - high quality and excellent service and selection. Check with them......you will not be disappointed.

Poppa

7. Re: the diamond hunter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 19:06
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the diamond hunter

Well we will trade you that ring for a dozen Nathan's next time you are here.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the diamond hunter

Well we will trade you that ring for a dozen Nathan's next time you are here.

dublin
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: the diamond hunter

If you can get it off her finger! :)