We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

My 2 sisters and I are spending 9 nights in New York in July next year. I'm trying to decide between the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or Hilton Garden Inn West 35th Street.

From reading the reviews, both hotels seem to be good; there is not much difference in their quality/price. Hilton Times Square is rated 12th best by TripAdvisor, whilst Garden Inn 35th Street rated 17th best (out of over 400 hotels).

There is also not much of a price difference between the two. Hilton Times Square is only around $200 more than Hilton 35th street (over 9 nights, that's only an extra $20 sumthing dollars per night). Hilton Times Square seems to be in a little bit of a better location? whilst Hilton 35th street has been voted by trip advisor to be 'top value'.

We want to stay somewhere central and in a good location, and close to main attractions, shopping, action etc, and plan on getting around the city by walking or subway/public transport. Both these hotels seem to satisfy these needs? Or can you recommend one over the other?

Would really appreciate your help in recommending which hotel would be better suited for us :)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

The property at 790 Eighth Avenue is an older building - it has been gut renovated.

The property on West 35th Street is brand spanking new.

790 Eighth Avenue is in a much more lively neighborhood at night. You'll be right in the heart of the restaurant scene and you'll be in a very diverse neighborhood popular with the gay community. So, there are a few bars in the neighborhood where you should know in advance you shouldn't be disappointed / take it harshly if the guys don't show any interest in you. : )

790 Eighth Avenue is within a five minute walk of several of my top favorite restaurants in NYC and it is very convenient to transportation.

West 35th Street is quieter at night. You're practically across the street from Macy's but it still isn't that lively at night. In fact, that is a rather unattractive block. It is safe and all but it isn't as lively. You're near the Korean Barbeque places on West 32nd Street. You're near Penn Station so you can easily head out to The Hamptons or Fire Island for a day trip. You're super close to the Empire State Building but I'm all about the restaurants, energy and things going on around me in the evening, that puts me at 790 Eighth Avenue rather than West 35th Street.

I hope this is helpful.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square has rooms with 2 queen beds which will be more comfortable than 2 doubles. Location is FAR better.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
288 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on 35th street back in July. We also debated about which one to stay at but in the end decided on 35th street since it was cheaper. I was very happy with the location. The subway was literally right outside the hotel entrance. There was lots of shopping the Macy's accross the street and lots of other shops around the corner. I have no knowledge of the other location, although after walking through Times Square several times, I was happy to be staying in a hotel in a quieter part of the city.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

35th Street is definitely right by all the subways. You don't even have to cross the street to get into the 34th Street / 6th Avenue station served by the local and express trains on both the Broadway and the 6th Avenue lines. You have the B, D, F and V (orange / Sixth Avenue) and the N, R, Q and W (yellow / Broadway) trains at your doorstep. There are stairs to / from the station at 35th and 6th.

Next stop on the downtown N and Q express trains is 14th St. / Union Square. Next stop on the downtown B and D express trains is West 4th Street in the heart of Greenwich Village. Uptown trains to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Columbus Circle / Central Park, etc.

790 Eighth Avenue is not in the middle of the nightmare that is Times Square. 790 Eighth Avenue is actually in the heart of Hell's Kitchen and is a couple blocks from the Northwest perimeter of Times Square. You're less than a five minute walk from three subway stations at the 790 Eighth Avenue property and you can still reach Greenwich Village, Union Square and most neighborhoods within 15 minutes.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
160 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

We just got back from NY today! We stayed at Hilton Garden Inn on

Eighth Ave and were very pleased with the hotel. So many places were within walking distance. Staff was also very nice. Subways around the corner. The only thing I will mention is you might want to ask for a room on a higher floor as there is Fire Dept next door. We were on the 8th floor, it the sirens didn't really bother us too much. Free Starbucks coffee in the morning, and cookies through the week in the afternoon. The staff were very nice. Enjoy your trip, we sure enjoyed ours!!!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

ok so hilton west 35th street is a brand new hotel, and is extremely close to the subways, quiter location, and free starbucks in the morning :) and MoreFFmiles, we're not worried if the guys don't show interest in us; we're just there to see the city and its attractions etc :)

and hilton times square is in the middle of all the action and bustle of new york city, and with more comfortable beds.

gosh..they both sound awesome!! i'll write down the pros and cons of both according to what you have all said, and let my sisters decide which one is more preferable for us.

Thanks for your help!!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

They both sound awesome ? Neither is spectacular but they don't need to be. The idea is to spend as little time in your hotel as possible and as you have been told subways are close to both so you will be fine with either? When you deal with chains like the HGI if you have seen one you have seen them all and each will have its little nuances but in the end it is just a bed. I would go for the cheaper alternative.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

sorry by awesome i meant they both sound as good as each other; both good alternatives for our stay. i know they're not spectacular but they're decent, and have excellent reviews.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

I'll add my vote to the HGI Times Square column -- bigger rooms (50 sq. ft. more) and better food, in variety of cuisines & prices, to be found in the immediate environs.

uk
Level Contributor
191 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one?Hilton Garden Inn Times Square or West 35th Street

Hi

Hilton Gardedn inn is better in my oppinion, have not stayed in the other, but it wins hands down wrt location. Theatres, Times Squre, Subway, GrandCentral, Rockerfella, Restaurants all within easy walk.