We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper glasses in New York??

Essex
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cheaper glasses in New York??

I'm off to New York in November and was wondering if it would be cheaper for me to buy reading glasses in New york??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

Im sure everything is cheaper here than in the UK - even British things (except McVities and Cadbury Flakes)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

Reading glasses, probably. You can find them for as little as $6-10. Sometimes the discount stores like Loehmann's, Daffy's, TJ Maxx have them. You can also usually find them in dept. stores

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

Or drug store chains like Duane Reade, Walgreens, etc.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

I bought them on Canal Street for $2 a pair.... or you can sometimes get them in drug stores for $5-6 a pair...

5. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 05:05
6. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 16:13
7. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 16:14
8. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 16:14
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

Just a note: The bargain reading glasses available in drug stores/chemists and discount stores come in standard increments like +1, +1.25, +1.5.

If you need anything more custom-made than that, you need an optometrist. You can go to a local chain such as Moscot, Cohen's Fashion Optical, Lens Crafters or Pearle Vision.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheaper glasses in New York??

This type of question and mentality always intrigues me: you spend thousands of dollars/pounds/euros etc for airfare and hotels etc then have the privilege of purchasing $2.00 reading glasses. Well, my eyesight is certainly worth more than that - I see an ophthalmologist and optometrist regularly - why people shy away from quality eye care and proper corrective lenses is beyond me.

Remember - you get what you pay for.

Poppa