We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying aftershave/perfume

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Buying aftershave/perfume

Hi there

We're off to new York in 11 days and my boyfriend is one of those who's holiday tradition is to buy smellies at the Duty Free. As we're going to New York, though, we'd ;like to know if it would be cost effective buying them in the Duty Free at Heathrow, Duty Free at JFK or in New York itself? He's looking for stuff like Farenheit 32 and Safari.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks xx

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

I don't know much about Duty Free prices, but most visitors from the UK report that our local prices for "smellies" (LOL, I love that!) are great bargains.

You can find great deals at the cosmetics counters at:

Century 21

Macy's

Filene's Basement

TJ Maxx

Sephora

And you can also try our local chain Perfumania.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

I'm pretty sure that Perfumania is a national chain, but if you're looking for mass-market fragrances, I'd go with that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

also, there's a place on East 55th (lex-3rd) called the Cosmetics Show that discounts a lot of perfumes. They also have cheaper brands of cosmetics - like Almay, Revlon, etc.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

who are you flying with?

you normally can check out the plane's duty free prices online, or even the duty free in the airport online, so you know what the price is.

you can then go onto a website like macy's, or any of the other suggestions already, if they have a website, and have a quick glance at prices there, and find out which is cheaper..

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

Thanks for that. We'll check them all out xx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

For Safari, you have to go to the DFF&Co Store - it's the Lancome/Ralph Lauren company store, which is open to the public. You can get 40-50% off retail prices. I know they have had Safari in the past (although because it's a company store, you can't guarantee what they will have at any particular time). It's on the 2nd floor of the office building on the southeast corner of 47th and 5th.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

Thanks for that. Will check it out xx

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,202 posts
1,821 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

Cosmetics, perfumes, after shave. We always take a look at Macys. Its also worth asking for freebies as well.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

The best deal for some perfumes/aftershave (different brands to the ones you mention) we bought on a recent trip were in the duty free shop at JFK - the price was the same as in the major stores including Sephora but there was no tax to pay, and 10% discount if you bought two or more items.

We also got a good deal on some at a place called Bazaar perfumes on 7th Ave near Times sq. We effectively haggled for it - undecided, we chose to leave it, but the guy offered it to us at a heavy discount that was too good to refuse.

You may however get a better deal at one of stores others have mentioned. You can get a 10% visitor discount card in Bloomingldales and Macys too - take ID to customer services.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying aftershave/perfume

If you go to Macy's or one of the other large department stores, check to see if there's a promotion going on. There might be a 'free gift' included with the sale of the cologne...soap, lotion, deodorant, etc.