We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Halloween

Bath UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New York Halloween

Ive heard there's a really good Halloween parade in Greenwich Village. Is it on this year as i believe it was cancelled one year.

Also when and where is the best time to view? Nearest Subway etc.

I expect there will be one or two people watching.

My sons fancy taking part, any problems / advice? Also wheres best for post parade Halloweeny bars etc for probably costumed characters.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York Halloween

Halloween in NYC is a big deal, especially in Greenwich Village. You have to be aware that this is an enormous event, with tens of thousands of people. While there is a parade in the Village, the event far overwhelms the traditional parade route. One thing that you should be aware of is that this parade has always been strongly influenced by NY's Gay community and that some of the costumes - while amazing- may not exactly be rated "G". It is a wonderful event, but if your kids are overwhelmed by crowds, or if you are squeemish about a costume that involved only a strategically placed construction glove [I did see that], this may not be a great option. [Lots of trains go here]

If your kids are younger, or of you desire a smaller and "G" rated event, head to Park Slope in Brooklyn. Give your kids shopping bags and have them go store to store on 7th Avenue after about 4:00 PM and all the merchants will give them candy. There is also a neighborhood parade of costumes up 7th Avenue that they can join in or watch from the sides. These much creative talent in this neighborhood, and the costumes will be great. [R train to Union or 2/3 to Grand Army Plaza]

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York Halloween

The whole event starts in the Village. the party continues in the village but if your sons are under 21 you will not be allowed into the bars. Subway line #1 to Christopher street will get you into the middle of it.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York Halloween

Here's the info to the Parade.

http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

NOTE - We turn the clocks back that night and the next day is the New York City Marathon

http://ingnycmarathon.com/

AND there's a Chocolate Show all weekend

http://www.chocolateshow.com/

ENJOY!

Bath UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York Halloween

No they are all over 21, as i am, unfortunately, way over.

I have checked some of the links suggested, very helpful, looks like a fun evening. Pity someones used the construction glove idea, i was thinking of that..............

New York
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New York Halloween

I always enjoy the parade, although this year it is on a Saturday night, so the crowds are going to be particularly scary...and not in a good way

What I have been doing lately is going to the staging area near Spring Streetand 7th Avenue. If you get there early you can walk around and see everybody's costumes, listen to some music and get a feel for the event without the mad crush that characterizes the rest of the route...and also make a quick getaway if things get really crowded...alternatively, if the spirit moves you you can actually join the parade!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York Halloween

LOL, Mel! Yep, I've seen costumes like that!

Also scary are the "sexy nurse" or "sexy French maid" costumes on people who should not be wearing them (sorry to say, usually females, b/c at the NYC Halloween Parade, the men often do a better job of pulling those ideas off.) ;o)

I also highly reco the Parade of Ghouls at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, if you're going to be in town.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3137447… Procession_of_the_Ghouls_St_John_the_Divine_October_30th-

It's awesome!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York Halloween

Yes, you can give it a go, it is a real slice of NY life. But the problem is not the parade itself which excellent, and will go on this year (with perhaps a few less floats) but the crowds.

This was once a local,even neighborhood event (I remember it "back in the day) that has now also become a chance of teens from outlying areas to come into NYC and"have fun." I think it can get scary (yes and not in a good way) unless maybe you come early and strategically locate yourself. There are lots of police around, streets are roped off, etc.

You can also see it on TV! (a bit safer)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York Halloween

Has the Halloween parade actually even been canceled? I can't imagine it was, as I recall a rather subdued version after September 11th.

Bath UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York Halloween

I probably misread something re cancelling event, sorry.

Anyway you have all given us a LOT to to think about.

Having survived "The Night of Fire" in Torroella Spain where firework wielding devils chase spectators down narrow medieval alleyways while residents chuck buckets of water over you, we think we can survive NY Halloween.

Those Spanish though????

10. Re: New York Halloween

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 05:18