We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

We will be enjoying NYC's Christmas decorations and events with our 5 yr old in early Dec. We're looking for a good place to have late lunch (say 2ish) around Rockefeller Ctr area. We will have spent the morning walking up 5th Avenue.

No hot dogs/street food suggestions please. I know we'll want to sit down, rest our feet and probably warm up a bit. And not really interested in chain fast food spots either. THANKS.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

I also have a 5 yr old and was wondering the same thing.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

There are a gazillion places to grab a bite, indoors, in Manhattan.

Around that area, there are many restaurants.

I just GOOGLED Rockefeller Plaza and got the official website and I suggest you do that too.

Last time we were there with our granddaughter (5 yrs old) we ate at the Channel 4 Pub.

Do a bit of searching on your own - you haven't given any details on food likes/dislikes or budget - a search will give you tons of info.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

The most typical response would be Ellen's Stardust Diner which is a block or two away. It's somewhat overpriced diner food but the waitstaff are all hopeful actors and perform and sing so it's very popular with families. Since it's also near Radio City, it gets mobbed at that time of year. The other typical option is the Rock Center Cafe which overlooks the skating rink but that also gets very crowded.

Pulse is a not very well known place inside the LA Sports Club (health club) in Rockefeller Center and would be less crowded.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/pulse/

Morrell's Wine Bar inside Rock. Ctr. is another idea but not sure you'd find something for your child. Pappillon is another idea.

http://www.papillonbistro.com/

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

In addition to very good burgers, Burger Heaven has good salads, soups, sandwiches, etc.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

aaaaaaawwwwww

burger heaven was our first meal in NY!! :-(

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
378 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

If the five year old is female and has an American Girl doll, she might like to lunch at the American Girl Place restaurant. Reservations are required. My niece brought her American Girl doll and loved it, although I personally think the place is a bit of a rip-off. My niece also paid to have her dolls hair done in the "hair salon".

americangirl.com/stores/…dining

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

You might try Dean and Deluca's which is just off the plaza and has good sandwiches.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

akgirl, BTW, are there any particular food you like or dislike, or want to try? And what's your price range?

I can reco Dervish Turkish Restaurant. If you like grilled meats, and would like to try some variations on that, it's a good spot to rest your feet and eat hearty food.

http://www.dervishrestaurant.com/lunch.asp

Switzerland
Level Contributor
39 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

I took my child to the Mars 2112 Restaurant (Broadway at 51st street). The experience starts out with a trip to the planet Mars. It's crazy--like in Disney. You need extra time there. I'm not sure about the quality of the food (it's expensive) as my son and I didn't eat there, but played the machines in the game room.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to lunch near Rockefeller Ctr with 5 yr old?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We don't want to spend a ton frankly. I looked at the Rock. Center Cafe and I just couldn't see spending $13 for her grilled cheese. I made reservations at the American Girl but may cancel. The idea seems fun and a little girl experience (since this trip is about "the magic of NYC (esp at Christmas)" but she does not have an American Girl doll and when I asked her about it she seemed ambivalent. So maybe just best to go in to look and if available spend the money on the photo shoot.

Personally I love all sorts of ethnic cuisine, the spicy the better. The hubby is advanturous enough but likes milder food. Our daughter is pretty picky but if they have noodles, rice and maybe even fruit available she will survive fine. I was think lunch somewhere and a stop at Magnolia for a cupcake as a treat for her. The Dervish looks great to me. I was hoping we could find a meal for $10-20 pp for lunch and that fits so it makes the list of possibles. Again thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming. I'm hoping we have a real mix of foods during the 5 days we're in NYC. One thing I want to avoid is soup/pizza/ sandwiches for all 10 meals.