We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Night Taxi Cab

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Late Night Taxi Cab

Hi. What's the best way (or place) to get a cab in Manhattan after midnight on a weekday night?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

Go outside and flag one down. I think that might be the ONLY way. Plentifulness of cabs depends on where you will be

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

stand on thecurb. stretch out your arm, with the index finger extended.

When the yellow cab stops ...(only take the yellow, official metered taxis. No others are legal) get in.. and THEN tell the driver your destination. This is important as some drivers may not wish to go where you're headed. However, if they are on duty, they MUST drive anywhere a passenger wishes to go within New York City.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,625 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

If you're on a cross street, and are having trouble finding a cab, you can walk to the nearest avenue. There are often more cabs there. (Cross streets are numbered streets (e.g. W 16th St. or E 94th St.), and they run east to west. Avenues are, well, avenues (6th Ave., Lexington Ave) and they run north and south.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

OK, let's try this again. I know how to hail a cab. I will be trying to find one at One AM next Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning. Where would be the most likely place to find one that is willing to go to the LGA area at that time. (I know they legally have to take you anywhere, but we all know that they dont).....

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

The question you asked was answered.

(I know they legally have to take you anywhere, but we all know that they dont)

We do?

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

That;'s the point about getting in FIRST, then tell them where you want to go. If they refuse, right down the name and number of the driver, threaten to call the Taxi & Limosine commission.

Also 1 AM is not particularly "late night" for Manhattan....also, a disproportionate number of Taxi drivers live in Queens, so there should be many who are quite happy to pick up a paying fare on the way home.

Incidentally, does LGA even have flights at that time of night? I was under the impression that it closes for the night????

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

That was my question too. Why on earth would you be going to LGA at 1am.

Getting a cab at 1am is not difficult.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

Where are you going to be when trying to get a cab????

Also - what's going on at LGA that time of the evening/morning??????

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

Boy, I had forgotten how annoying New Yorkers can be some times. (I was born in Brooklyn and grew up in Queens + college on LI).

We are coming in for the World Series game. We are staying at the airport at LGA (we fly back in the mornign). That';s why we need to get to LGA. (Of course we arent flying at 2 AM)

We will be taking the subway from the Stadium, but (as you all know) the closest the subway comes to LGA is near Roosevelt Avenue or heading off into Flushing-- which isnt the world';s finest location to be hanging out at 2 AM.

We could try to get a cab at the Stadium -- but usually its just gypsy cabs that want to negotiate price. And with 49,000 other people, I like to just get in the subway and get down to Manhattan.

So that is why the question is -- WHERE in Manhattan is the best place to get a cab at 1 AM that will take me to the LGA area. Because once I am on the Subway, I can get off at any stop.

So -- now that you have all the details -- could SOMEBODY offer a suggestion???

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Late Night Taxi Cab

You left out a great deal of vital information, and yet we all still gave plenty of information that should have been obvious to somebody with your extensive local knowledge.

but to answer your annoying question:

Try south of 72nd street and north of Canal. Between 12th avenue and the FDR. At that time of night, there will be THOUSANDS of taxis all over Manhattan. What more do you need to know????