We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

San Francisco, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

Possibly moving back east from SF in January and would love advice from someone who has done this.

-What's a realistic daily mileage?

-Good, safe, convenient motel stops with u-haul and car on trailer.

-hints, tips etc.

Many thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

Requests for relocation info usually get deleted pretty quickly here by TA as not really travel-related. Here's my suggestion: head over to the Road Trips forum to see if anyone else has recently done this; if not, re-post there but make the heading something like "Cross-Country Drive, San Francisco - NYC?".

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

But let me recommend that you first do some research so you can tell give people some idea of what you think you're most interested in seeing/doing along the way; you'll get more, and more meaningful, feedback if you don't ask a 3,000 mile-wide question ;-)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

I helped somebody move to Berkeley. That is the closest I can come to your request.

It all depends how much you want to pack into a day of driving and what season (snow?).

Realistically it can be done with three overnights, Laramie, The Quad Cities and just west of Cleveland Ohio. It really depends on you. If you provide a little more information I can try to help. I've been across Interstate 80 a fair number of times. It is actually a lot of fun.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

For about $45 you can join AAA which provides you with lots of benefits (including hotel discounts) and free maps, routes and detailed info on accommodations, attractions and dining options en route.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

Never done to the drive to San Francisco, but we moved here with a UHaul from Seattle. I think the big decision is whether to treat it as a chore to be gotten through as quickly as possible or as an opportunity to see a lot of the country. We decided to consider it the latter, so we made many stops along the way and only did about 400 miles a day at the very most. It wound up being quite enjoyable.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

You might want to consider doing a southerly route if traveling cross country in January. (AAA will map multiple routes for you.)

Crans: I think you'd find something enjoyable about Every excursion you take!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

I agree with the others that it depends on how much you're willing to drive in a day. I drove/moved from LA to the east coast in 5 days 30 years ago. I could have done it in 1 or 2 days less but was travelling alone and it just got harder and harder to sit behind the wheel (during summer in an un-airconditioned, compact car stuffed with all my belongings!). But I know people who say they've done it more than once in 3 days or less.

San Francisco, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

Some great feeback. Thanks all. Will try and get some stuff up on the road trips sections.

Slainte Mhath!

8. Re: San Francisco - New York City. Relocation advice anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:17