We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

New Orleans
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

In March I'm going with a group of 10 women to NYC ages 50's and 60's. I'm the only "young-un" at age 30 something! We're trying to pick a show (musical). I suggested Jersey Boys. One of the ladies heard from a friend that it was racy and inappropriate. Can people who have seen it please explain?

I mean... I've seen Ave Q... so I doubt it would be bad enough to really offend me!!!! BUT some of these women are pretty conservative! So I'd hate to recommend something they will be offended by!

So how "bad" is it really??? Any other suggestions for this group besides Disney shows??? ;-)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

Come now - were in the 21 Century - Jersey Boys is the story of Frankie Valli and 4 Seasons - there are some sexual references and off-color language - however the music dominates the show.

I've seen racier content on broadcast TV - unless you are a bunch of nuns or live under a rock you should be able to enjoy this production.

I mean lots of others do - as it perpetually sold out.

Expand your horizons.....

Poppa

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

I heard Sound of Music is opening up soon..... If your group is so conservative that they would find Jersey Boys offensive I think you have a problem... My guess is nothing is going to please them. I can understand Avenue Q being a problem (not really) but it depends on how conservative they are.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

This question -- or rather, the notion afoot amongst these ladies -- makes me want to throw a brick through a church window.

That said, yes, there is profanity, including the f-word.

As for other recommendations, if they only can stomach content aimed at children, then give it to them via The Lion King, Wicked, etc. No reason to make their trip unpleasant.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

Okay... Okay... no bricks through windows PLEASE!!! (hides and runs for cover)

Maybe that "friend of a friend" was just SUPER conservative and she overreacted. Maybe my friends will love it!

That is why I was asking for more details about the show! If I knew some specifics of what "off color" moments there were - I could explain to these ladies what they would be in for.. and maybe they would still be interested in seeing it?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

Like I said, there's a fair amount of profanity in the scenes depicting their 'old neighborhood' upbringing. Some of the references are sexual, others are just guys ribbing each other in a salty way.

Honestly, I think if they're sensitive enough to even ask, you might be better off with something softer.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

Let's see........I agree with everyone else. The F word is used frequently and there are some sexual references. I mean they're musicians on the road. So, they have girlfriends and wives back at home. This is about as racy as it gets. The show is fabulous. Wicked is also a wonderful show, and there isn't any racy content in it. :O)

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

If you are from New Orleans-- perhaps some pre trip training is in order. Take the ladies down to Bourbon Street any night of the week and you are for sure going to see more "inappropriate and racy" things there than you will ever see on a Broadway stage

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

I don't remember anything that might be deemed "racy" about the content. There is, however, much profanity and the F word is nigh constant . So it might very well be offensive for some in this group; I know my mother's enjoyment of it would be diminished for that reason.

I regret the scornful brickbats thrown at you here. You're just the representative, and in any event, the proposition that people who dislike streams of profanity are infantile is itself narrow-minded.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

The best theater I have ever seen is true to life and reflective of reality. The day that they start sanitizing theater just to protect sensitive conservatives is the day that theater will be ruined... It is good that you explore the content and language if you find it offensive but if you do just don't go...

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jersey Boys "Racy or inappropriate"???

Just to give you an idea, there are references to "getting lucky" as in the song "What a night" and some drug references. Also, the F word is thrown around a bit. However, it's not over the top. We went to see it with my 12 yo son and we had no problem with it. Some video games they play are more inappropriate. The show is absolutely fantastic despite some mild/moderate language issues.