We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do better?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Can I do better?

I am coing to New York for 10 nights Dec 29- Jan 8. I have decided to stay at the La Quinta in Queens to avoid the Manhattan New Year hotel prices. I am paying approx $1650 for 10 nights (inc tax). I know this seems cheap to many of you but this is a hell of a lot of money for me on my own. Is this a good deal for the time of year? Can I do better? Any help appreciated.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I do better?

If you spend the first three nights in Queens there may be more favorable Manhattan hotel prices after Jan. 1 for you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I do better?

I guess it depends on how you define "better."

1) If you want to pay less than that and are willing to deal with shared bathroom, the YMCA Westside IN Manhattan in a great location and with gym and indoor pool is less than $80/night for a single room. You might find other hostels in Manhattan or rooms in hotels with shared bathroom at around $100/night.

2) I would prefer the Country Inn & Suites in Long Island City which is brand new and actually a bit less @ $1638.

3) If you're willing to switch hotels, you could stay in Long Island City until Jan. 4 and then move into Manhattan for not much more $$. The Affinia 50 has a special on travelzoo.com starting on Jan. 4 and I'm sure there are lots of other good deals to be had for that first week in Jan. in Manhattan.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I do better?

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I had a look at the new Country Inn and it looks and sounds great. The only problem was I could not book online as the webpages wouldn't load and I had issues with the whole website (on two different computers). Anyway, I rang them up and did it the old fashioned way (spoke to a human being). I am going to stick with this for the whole 10 day stay.

Thanks again.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I do better?

unless you're going for a craigslist pad (which you'll get ripped off), or couch surfing, sounds like a decent deal. make sure you're in a safe area of queens, and remember queens blvd is nicknamed - the boulevard of death, careful when crossing!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,520 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I do better?

I hope you enjoy it. It's not quite as close to the subway as the La Quinta but I think will be much nicer, newer and cleaner.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I do better?

Braveheart, you make this location sound like a B horror movie

" remember queens blvd is nicknamed - the boulevard of death, careful when crossing! "

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I do better?

lol not a horror movie, but as in any trip remember safety. and i lived in queens a few years myself. Brooklyn for 25 years.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I do better?

This is a world of warehouses and garages if I remember correctly. Not the most vibrant area

9. Re: Can I do better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 05:20