We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money for a week - advice?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Spending money for a week - advice?

Hi. Am going to NYC for a week in early Feb with my boyfriend. We're planning to take approx £2000 GBP (no cards) between us. Is this enough for the usual sightseeing trips (ESB, SOL, etc), eating out each night and a spot of shopping? We also want to visit Coney Island for the day/half day. Am getting a bit worried it's not enough.....

Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
Grand Central Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Saks Fifth Avenue
Department Stores,
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

that sounds plenty to me - you can eat quite cheaply in NYC, as well as splash out. That gets you around $3200 which is plenty for a week

New York City
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

i assume you will be leaving most of the cash in your hotel safe....it is never a good idea to travel around any major city with thousands of dollars on you.....and you should have a credit card, if just for emergency.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

We will be leaving it at the hotel - am not that daft (lol) Don't have any cards except debit cards and not sure they will work (as has just happened in Egypt) I don't want to leave anything to chance and be stuck drawing cash out whilst am there....

UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

Rather than take a large amount of cash, load up a pre-paid card like CaxtonFX - don't think there's a charge for withdrawing money with them and the rates are better than you'd get at a travel agents.

stockport
Level Contributor
513 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

We are planning to allow $100 a day for just drinks & food, do you think that will be enough? We obviously will be doing all the sightseeing/excursions but we have allowed for that seperatly.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

depends on how much you eat and drink :-)

It can certainly be done

stockport
Level Contributor
513 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

Its for Breakfast, Dinner and drinks in the evening. Do you think we should allow more?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

it depends where you want to eat and drink

have at look at www.menupages.com for menus and costs - dont forget to add on tax and tip!!

stockport
Level Contributor
513 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money for a week - advice?

Why do you want to visit Coney Island in February? It will be very cold and I believe virtually everything will be closed. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, because it would never have occurred to me to go there in the dead of winter.