We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brits in Brooklyn

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Brits in Brooklyn

About 225 years ago, the British invaded Brooklyn. They came with their Hessian friends and generally created quite a mess in the Battle of Brooklyn. Now, they're back.

The signs of Britness are everywhere in Brooklyn. On one end of Park Slope there is a Key Food that has a Brit Food section - spotted dick anyone. On the other end is The Chip Shop. More and more we hear the Queens English spoken on the streets. [Think Corgies rather than Ridgewood].

I found a great web posting about being British in Brooklyn. Thought I'd share it. So, pull up a pint of Fullers London Pride, and read about why your fellow countrymen feel so at home here.

brooklynbased.net/everything/…

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

Saw a great example of this outside of Floyd's bar on Atlantic Ave yesterday.. As I passed two rival soccer fan groups (have no idea what game was on early yesterday since I'm not a fan) were singing competing insulting chants that all seemed to be in good fun but always ended in some obscenity.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

It was the Arsenal and Tottenham match! Go Tottenham! Come on you Spurs!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

it was indeed - sadly it is what a lot of english football fans can be like

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

I wasn't complaining LMV... I rather enjoyed the banter and it never really seemed to get nasty... it only seemed like a contest to see who could come up with the most insulting obscenities. Each one seemed to be met with laughter from the other side. I have seen the hooligans over in Britain. Perhaps these boys were transplants who have become a little Americanized and lost a little of their fervor and edge.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

Had it not been a Saturday morning, the group might have included a couple of slightly Britishized-Americans. (Me and my rabid Spurs fan husband.) The language at those things is certainly not nearly as vicious as what I witnessed leaving Yankee Stadium after game 1 on Wednesday.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

You certainly won't get any defense of the Yankees fans from me BB.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,114 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

Well aware, bilmin. :)

England
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

bilmin, to add to your education of English soccer....here, it's pronounced "Tottingham". They once had an Argentinian manager who for what ever reason couldn't say Tottenham.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

I lived in Boston during the the season that the Yankees came back from 14 games behind to win. Heard a lot of nasty language at Fenway. Those were some angry Sawx fans. But...it was nothing like the Hearts v Hibernian match that I saw at Edinburgh. Much of the "language" during the post match interactions was made with thrown bottles. Pubs in Edinburgh were closed depending on if you were wearing red or green. You know that you're in trouble when the team song contains the lyrics "SURRENDER OR YOU'LL DIE." Still, in the words of my burly friend, a Heart's supporter - "Pure Magic!"

It's pretty great that Brooklyn has enough Brits living here that we can stage our own soccer riot ;-)

10. Re: Brits in Brooklyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 06:18