We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free Burger

Surrey
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free Burger

Hi all,

I wondered if anybody knows of anywhere around the mid 40's where I could get a gluten free burger (happy to go without the bread bun) or similar? I have scoured menpages but can't seem to come up with anything near where we are staying (Sofitel). We arrive on the 27th Nov and I was looking for somewhere pretty laid back to eat on the Friday night that we could walk to from our hotel, more than happy with up to a 15/20 min walk. Something mid range price and with a pretty good range of food as I am coeliac. Any help or advice would be absolutely great.

SCG

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free Burger

Uh, as I understand it, what's glutten is the bun, not the burger so you can eat at ANY restaurant that serves burgers and just ask them to hold the bun, no?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free Burger

Here's a thread with lots of glutten free info including a trip report from a celiac.

tripadvisor.com/…591

Surrey
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free Burger

The link looks great nywhiz, thank you, I will read it in a little more detail in a mo. I have already researched some great sounding gluten free places but nothing near our hotel for the first night yet. I wish it was as easy as holding the bun. A lot of places add breadcrumbs to the burgers (but not all the time) hence it then contains gluten. If anybody knows of a good burger joint (not sure why I am hankering after a burger but thought it might be a nice easy chilled eat, on our first night after a long flight) near our hotel I can always contact them in advance :-)

SPG

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,957 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten Free Burger

DB Bistro Moderne is right on the same block as your hotel and is famous for their sirloin burger filled with braised short ribs foie gras and black truffle. I would highly doubt they'd add breadcrumbs to this. It is served with fries and a bun but you can easily avoid those. At one time this was the most expensive burger in NYC because of the truffles. (which are like mushrooms so I don't think contain glutten).

The Perfect Pint and Smith's Bar are other places listed on menupages that are near your hotel and sound like a good bet for a burger, but I've not been to either.

Surrey
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten Free Burger

Thanks nywhiz :-) I have found a fab place that does gluten free mac and cheese too called s'mac ;-)

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten Free Burger

I was also going to say DB Bistro Moderne. By the way, the "DB" is Daniel Boulud whose flagship restaurant, Daniel, recently won three stars from the 2010 Michelin Guide.

7. Re: Gluten Free Burger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 06:17