We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

united kingdom
Level Contributor
452 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

Really like the idea of the "NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus"

Has anyone done this tour lately?

I read that its approximatley 5hr of sightseeing, in your opinion is this to long to be travelling around NY. The thing that appeals to me is that the guide gets off the bus with you and explains the area your in, time enough for photo's then back on the bus, no waiting around for the next bus to turn up.

New York Media Boat \/ Adventure Sightseeing Tours
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tribeca Sailing
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Top Dog Tours NYC
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

personal view is that 5 hrs of sightseeing would drive me mad but others seem to enjoy

personally a map and the subway is a much better way of seeing the city

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,585 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

We used to recommend it regularly but one poster had her tour cancelled (I think b/c not enough people or the guide didn't show up) and had quite a hard time getting a refund.

does the same sort of thing and seems to be more reliable. Another option that uses walking and subway rather than a bus is

which also gets very good reviews here.

Runcorn England
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

Hi, We have booked this tour as we only have a few days in N.Y . We did a simular tour in San Fransisco a few years a go and enjoyed it and thought it was a good way of seeing a lot of the sights,hope this helps

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

P&D that is the point of all this... this tour that is highlighted may not be the best bang for your buck and the two NYWhiz listed have been reported as the best current ones if you like tours..... save time to explore for yourself on the subway it really is the best way to see the city.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

I heartily recommend the MTA buses instead of (or in addition to) the subway. I stopped doing subways a few years ago after a broken escalator forced us to climb three flights of stairs. Not good with a heart condition!

So I've learned the bus system and I'm amazed at how much more fun it is to take the bus. Nowhere near as fast, granted, but you get to see SO much more of the city. No commentary from a guide, but honestly the conversations you overhear can more than make up for that! I've taken the bus all the way down Broadway, from around 57th St. to the Village, and wow, what a great visual tour of various neighborhoods and commercial districts in the city. Also took it once all the way up to The Cloisters. In contrast to a years-earlier subway trip up there, it was so much more interesting and relaxing.

If you buy a Metro pass, it's good on both subways and buses. Best of both worlds, if speed is important one on trip but getting a better feel for the city is also something you'd enjoy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

Judging from the last several months of formal reviews posted here on TA, it seems that On Board Tours [formerly known as the Party Shuttle] is getting itself back on track; there haven't been any customer service complaints for the past 2 months. But it would not be my pick of overview tours because 1+ hour of the itinerary is given over to riding the Staten Island Ferry. That's a free ride you can do yourself whenever it best suits you (the Ferry operates around the clock). And you won't miss much by not doing it with the tour: the guides give little narration on the boat because people want to spread out along the railing to ogle the Statue of Liberty and other sights.

Whether you choose another tour or follow the do-it-yourself itinerary using the City's buses laid out in this terrific NY Times piece

do it on Wednesday or Thursday following your arrival; if recent history repeats itself, that first weekend in December will be a mob scene in midtown and impede the ability to get from place to place.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

CockleCove -

Thanks for that great article! I've done the northern end of the island that way (though I changed to the M5 somewhere along the line heading south, and enjoyed Riverside Drive for miles rather than 5th Avenue). But I've never taken a bus south of Greenwich Village. I think we're going to do the Staten Island Ferry on Saturday, and we'll be sure to watch for the landmarks mentioned as we bus down to Battery Park.

8. Re: NY see-it-all, On Board sightseeing bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2010, 06:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor