We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas gifts for the grandkids

Andalucia
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas gifts for the grandkids

Getting ready for our week in Manhattan over Xmas. Whilst there we want to buy gifts for our 9, yes nine, grandkids but dont want to spend our whole time or budget shopping! Ages 2 years to 14. Maybe t-shirts for them all - can anyone suggest a fun but reasonably-priced shop which covers all ages? Or does anyone have other and better ideas please??

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

I have seen stores where you can get I love NY tee shirts 5 for $10-- of course tell the little tykes not to wash them. They may not last very long.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

I'd get some of them NYC children's books - great selections at any of the museums you might be visiting.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

Go to the lower level of Century 21, across the street from the WTC site and near the Brooklyn Bridge, City Hall, etc.. You'll probably be headed there anyway.

They have NYC-themed shirts, mugs, bags, hats, stuffed bears, candy, ESBs and SOLS, etc, and they're all good quality.

Sure, you can get cheaper stuff (like the 5 for $10 t-shirts) on Canal Street and randome souvenir stores, but if you want one single, indoor, failry civilized location to buy everything at once, this is a great option.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

This could be a fun place to buy NYC gifts.

Manhattan Municipal Building

One Centre Street - North Plaza

Mon - Fri 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

http://a856-citystore.nyc.gov/

nyc.gov/html/…citystore.shtml

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

Just hit the first t-shirt stand you see. Buy the shirts, and then go have a good time!

Andalucia
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

Thanks so much. Good idea for books for the older ones and will definitely try Century 21 for the others.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

Remember that cheap t-shirts shrink, so consider buying one size larger - better loose than ill-fitting/tight.

I personally love the stuff in Macys, but some of it is a bit expensive.

Also check for the Christmas shops in Grand Central Station and Bryant Park. unique and unusual stuff, for the most part.

http://shop.bryantpark.org/

grandcentralterminal.com/go/mallEvents.cfm…

A great place for Xmas decorations: http://www.thechristmascottage.com/

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

During my annual "City" trip with my BFF last year our last stop is always Macy's x-mas shop to peek at santa and look around at the toy shop. We stumbled up a Macy's bear wearing a knitted sweater with Macy's New York on it. The Bear was sitting in a radio flyer wagon! The cutest thing I ever saw!!!! The bear was approx. 12" high and the wagon was approx. a foot and a half long, real metal, spinning and rotating wheels and all!!! Just a mini! Fit perfectly into a Macy's shopping bag also! Gave it to my grandson for christmas and HE LOVES IT.!!!!! (39.99 on sale for 29.99 plus a coupon we had brought it down to something like 16.99).

I too love the Macy's NY Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

I think you've gotten some great ideas. Frankly I think t shirts are not a great idea since kids grow so quickly and especially for the older ones, they may not want an I love NYC shirt. The gift store at the Metropolitan Museum has a huge selection of things for all ages. You don't have to pay museum entry to shop in the store. There's also a store at the NY Public library.

Andalucia
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xmas gifts for the grandkids

OK, Macys now added to list! There was me thinking we wouldnt be spending much time shopping - hmm, perhaps we just need to take a bigger suitcase?! And not just stuff for the grandkids either! Thank you all so much.