We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

I am plotting a surprise trip to NYC for a friend and his GF (she's the one being surprised) in November. He wants it to be romantic, as well as to have the "WOW! We're in NYC!!" feeling. They are in their late 20's and coming from Belgium.

He just sent me the list of hotels he's considering, and I would really appreciate knowing..."Which one(s) of these hotels would YOU chose...and WHY?" Which ones should he eliminate right away (Holiday Inn 6th Ave?) and why? Any and all comments are appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be some great advice!!

Here's the list:

Wellington

Hotel Vincci Avalon

New Yorker Hotel

Holiday inn Manhattan Sixth Avenue

Novotel New York Times Square

La Quinta Manhattan

The hotel at Times Square

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

Absolutely NONE of these hotels are either WOW or romantic. The only one that could come close to "wow" factor is the Novotel because it's glitzy lights and lit up near Times Square (but not in it). Of these, the Hotel at Times Square is (IMO) the best for location, recent renovation and free cont. b/f but it ain't romantic or wow in the least. The Holiday Inn Sixth ave. is a decent chain hotel that's a decent place to sleep, but nothing more. If he's talking about this Nov. as in this month, he's waited a bit late for bargains and if it's next year, it's too far away.

The Millenium Broadway is sometimes available at a decent price by using the discount code zoo in the reservation form.

The Millenium UN PLaza is a wow hotel that's often affordable.

I suggest you give us his dates and budget and let us look for some other options.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

I should add many tourists find the renovated rooms at the New Yorker perfectly good but locals can't get over the bad reputation this place has had for years. It's right near Penn station so it's a convenient location but certainly not attractive area or good for restaurants.

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

Stayed at the wellington for the last visits to nyc and found it to be a good hotel on both occasions,pleasent staff,good rooms and excellent location,

Stayed at the new yorker for our 1st trip back in 06 and had no problems there whatsover although the location was a little bit out compared to the wellington,

Thats my 2 cents worth

Darren

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

But Darren, would you call either romotely romantic or "wow" we're in NYC?

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

Looks like you are in the moderate to relatively inexpensive range and

you are keeping to midtown or near Times Square. Perhaps if you

look to the upper west side or Chelsea area you might get a bit more

of the "wow" factor for the same money. If you can raise the budget

some you might be able to get a little more"wow" . If it is not over

the Thanksgiving weekend Travelzoo has some " wowers" at a

good price. Perhaps the Royalton.

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

Certainly would not call either of them wow or romantic whizz,

Staying at the edison hotel next week so i would class that in the same category as the 2 previous hotels i have stayed in,

Darren

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

We just returned from a 12 day vacation in New York City where we stayed in a one bedroomed suite at the Kimberly Hotel. Not sure what his budget is but this hotel was superb, spacious, spotlessly clean and definitely romantic! Our suite had a small balcony and 2 bathrooms (not sure why it had 2 bathrooms as we didn't ask for that but we weren't going to complain!)

While we were there we called in at the New York Palace with a view to staying there on our next trip. The manager very kindly showed us one of their 1 bedroomed suites in the main house. The suite was absolutely beautiful, again very spacious, plush and romantic with a lovely view of St Patricks Cathedral.

I would recommend either of these hotels and if his budget could stand the battering I'm sure he'd be pleasantly surprised!

Belfast
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

I've stayed in the Novotel and while it was a good hotel in a great location, it's most definitely not romantic, nor would I say it's "wow".

We're staying in the Roosevelt for Christmas which certainly has the "wow" factor in the foyer though from some of the reports I've read, the rooms are hit and miss. If you're willing to stretch your budget a bit though, this might be a good option.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

Thanks for your advice. My friend's budget is $200-230 US per night. He is aware of what a tight budget this is for NYC. I'm playing fairy godmother and trying to find him a "silk purse for the price of a pig's ear"...LOL and trying to help them get the most "romantic bang" from a room as possible - "perhaps a great view will make up for chain hotel decor" train of thought, if you will.

That being said - if you had to advise a friend on any of these hotels, which one would YOU recommend to them?

ALSO......I came across the Skyline Hotel (10th Ave @ W 49th). Am about to do some research. Anybody familiar with it? Comments?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please give me your 2 cents on these hotels

Oh...their travel dates..... Arrive JFK Dec. 14th. Need NYC hotel for 14th, 15th, 16th, and again on the 20th.