We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in early February?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Weather in early February?

Hi. Can anyone advise if early Feb will be longjohns and thermal weather? The only cold place I have been to in the winter is Prague (other than the UK of course...lol) and that was definately thermals weather. Will be going shopping in December for NYC clothes and was wondering if I need to buy some? We will be out and about for most of our week in the city, sightseeing and such, and we want to be as warm/comfy as possible....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in early February?

Average February temperature in Manchester: 35-44F

Average February temperature in NYC: 27-41F

http://weather.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx

In other words, not a huge difference than what you're used to, though of course chances are that you will be walking outside more here than at home.

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in early February?

yeah not much difference from home though not so much rain as Manchester ,oh i am so funny I needed a hat and a scarf but too many warm clothes and you will faint in shops

New year is great any season I have done June,September and January ,loved them all

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in early February?

actually I have only ever done New year at home in Washington its new York I have visited in those three months

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in early February?

cool idea though new year in any season and of course I had new years in other villages before I moved here and I am going now

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in early February?

It seems to me that those from the UK have the perception that NYC is in the Arctic - it does get cold - not sure how many people here are going to slap on the long-johns. As mentioned the weather in Feb somewhat mirrors Manchester.

An example of Brits and cold weather - last January my wife and I were in for MLK weekend and one of the days were at a street fair on 7th Avenue. The temperature was 63F - and here comes a group from the UK in fur boots, scarves, wool hats and gloves - complaining how cold it was - I couldn't believe it as the temps rose to around 66 that day....

Suck it up - it's not the North Pole.

Poppa

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in early February?

It's from reading reports on here I have been worrying about the cold... I reckon a nice big winter furry coat and some flat boots with thick socks and I will be sorted, and will prob wear jeans most days. Friends who have visited NYC before have advised you're probabaly in those clothes all day as they rarely returned to the Hotel to change (unless it's for the Theatre or a special meal) Thanks folks, I will leave the thermals for the Arctic explorers!! :-)

England
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in early February?

Although stats show similar temperatures twixt the two....N.Y.C. is more exposed than Manchester. When you are walking around , you are somewhat protected by the block system, then "wow" you turn a corner and the cold wind gets you .Then you know what cold is, wind chill factor plays a big part.

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in early February?

Me and my daughter went February 4th in 2008 for a few days. Weather was great and one day we had 20 deg (68 deg). This is not the norm but it was such a bonus for us. So much to see and do you don't have time to worry about the temps.

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in early February?

Me and my daughter went February 4th in 2008 for a few days. Weather was great and one day we had 20 deg (68 deg). This is not the norm but it was such a bonus for us. So much to see and do you don't have time to worry about the temps.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in early February?

I was there last Febuary and found the weather not to cold,only rained one afternoon. The night time gets colder.,but when the winds kick up it gets really cold. A heavy coat and boots is all you need and of course gloves and a hat .It did not get like the Artic.no need for thermal underwear.