We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

Goteed1
Level Contributor
373 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

Can anyone recommend the best apps for using the subway system or transit? I have seen a couple on line, but not sure which would be the best. Also any other apps that you found useful during your visit would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wirral
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

Download "iTrans NYC" App-it is a good one.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

You're on vacation, put the damn phone away. Connectivity can be a blessing, but it can also be a curse. Unplug for a few days and enjoy the sounds of the city. All you really need is a subway map.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

All apps that I mention are free (or at least they were free when I downloaded them). I will be putting them to use Thanksgiving week.

I like iTrans and Kick Lite for subway maps. I expect to use the Hop Stop app a lot. I also have At a Glance NYC City guide with tons of information on what to do, where to stay, where to visit, where to eat, etc. Frommer's also has a free guide. The Molinker NYC travel guide has a decent map. Not just for NYC, I like Yelp, Around Me and Urbanspoon. Of course, there is also a TripAdvisor Local Picks app.

Mel, this is not about the phone. It is about having more information in your pocket than you could possibly carry in guide books.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

We have the City Transit app and use it a lot -- it's generally pretty good for learning about subway service changes.

theiphoneappreview.com/07/mta-city-transit/

Goteed1
Level Contributor
373 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

Thanks guys this is really helpful.

Mel, normally I'm with you. In fact when I get off an airplane for a trip I forget to turn my phone back on sometimes for days if I'm on vacation, but I just go the IPhone and have used it on a couple of trips and it really really enhances the trip. When I was in Europe and had to budget my time, the apps helped me figure out the nearest attractions, places to eat etc very efficiently. Also being completely lost and a little snockered at 3am in the middle of a deserted section of Amsterdam? The Iphone compass was my lifesaver. Last week in Los Angeles, a city I know very well, I was able to pull down menus, availabilities for nearby restaurants and avoid alot of hassles. Also much easier than carrying around a book or a bunch of maps.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

I'm with Mel... I had a guy holding his I phone ask me where a particular place was the other day because as he looked at the map he could not figure it out.

The lesson is just like on the trains, even with your fancy toys the best thing to do if you have a question is just ask the nearest local. That app is filed under

be friendly, it works and you don't have to worry about the battery life running out.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

Goteed: I guess I'm an old Luddite at heart. I have the extremely basic cell phone that has zero bells and whistles. My daughter is embarrased when I actually use it in public.

Have a blast in NYC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

I really liked the Kick transit map iPhone app too. Personally, I find the design much easier to read than the MTA map.

http://www.kickmap.com/

If you have a 3GS, the compass is definitely a lifesaver.

Check out the Bowery Boys podcast on iTunes to learn about NYC. You could use them as a walking tour...especially in the old Five Points area or Central Park.

I'm all for having a laptop and phone on vacation. I don't have a stressful job so checking emails isn't a nightmare for me when I'm away. I like to send photos, read about places I saw, and watch a movie on the laptop. They don't have to be a ball and chain, so to speak... they can really aide your travel.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

the only app i use on my iphone with regards to NYC, was the original (and i don't think any longer available now) itrans NYC lite. It was the free subway map that all you did was zoom in on it..

i've never needed anything else.. i've never needed a compass to navigate around, maybe I just have a bluddy amazing sense of direction.... :)

M

10. Re: Best I Phone Apps for NYC Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2010, 06:18