Dreams do come true. From TA:
We are thrilled to share that the edit link is scheduled to launch on Monday! We appreciate your patience – we had to make sure that the edit button would not only meet your functional needs, but also protect you (and TripAdvisor) from abuse of the feature. Everyone will have enough “edit time” to fix typos and mistakes, as requested, but not enough time to disrupt conversations with confusing edits. Please note that, for your protection, we will keep a record of both the original and edited versions of every post. Read on after this message for details on how it works.
As with all changes to the site, this needs to go through the official release process, which means that it may appear and then disappear during the day on Monday, or show for some members before others. Rest assured, everyone will see it by the end of the day.
Feel free to ask questions here if there's anything else you'd like to know. Happy editing!
How It Works
So, here's how the feature will work:
- An edit link will appear on every forum post (new topic or reply) for 5 minutes after you submit your post, or until there’s a reply, whichever comes first.
- If you click the edit link on your post after the 5 minute window has passed (say, for instance, you did not refresh the page, but 5 minutes have indeed passed), an error message will appear and you will not be able to edit your post.
- The edit link will only be visible to the author of the post, and only if the author is signed into their TA account.
- If you click the edit link on your post, you will be able to edit your post, preview it if desired, and resubmit it.
- When the edit link is clicked, the post box will open with your original post pre-filled for easy correction and re-submission.
- A post may only be edited once.
- Starting at the time of your original post, you have 5 minutes total to edit and resubmit your post. If you try to resubmit your post after the 5 minutes have passed, you will not be able to. Rather, your original post will remain.
- If a new post is made to the topic before you resubmit your edited post, an error message will appear and your original post will remain.
- Once a post is edited, a new time stamp will display below the post. Example: " Edited: June 17, 2009 09:29 am”