We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dial 7

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
dial 7

Going by some trip reports i have read, can i confirm that we can land in JFK with no booking with Dial 7, pick up a phone there and request a car to take us to Manhattan?

Thanks in advance

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dial 7

WRONG---- you make the reservation on line and then they plan on it and have people at the airport to pick you up... they wait in a holding area of the parking lot and then when you call to tell them you are there they come by in 5 or 10 minutes. This saves you waiting time and inside greeting which can be very expensive.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dial 7

excellent cheers bilmin

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dial 7

The are offering 51 dollars, and can pay cash on the day which suits me. Does that include tips and tolls does anyone know

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dial 7

You pay tips and tolls extra to the base price.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dial 7

I see, thanks

How much does a cab cost typically. land on a saturday around lunch time

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,184 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: dial 7

Assuming you're going to Manhattan, a yelow cab is a flat fare of $45, plus tips and tolls, which usually comes to about $60 altogether. You can pay a cab with cash or a credit card.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dial 7

There are several different rates from JFK using Dial7. The $51 rate is for a "luxury" sedan which is generally newer and bit nicer than the basic sedan. Toll ($5) and tip (15-20% of fare) will bring the total to ~$65. If you just book a basic sedan online, it's $40 plus t & t or ~ $55.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dial 7

http://www.dial7.com/transportation_rates_NY

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dial 7

A few other points - there are some other car firms (I've always got on well with Carmel whilst others recommend Dial 7).

Carmel are the same basic price as Dial 7 but also do some discount coupons on their website for $4 off if you're cost concious. Still tip on the full price if you present a coupon.

You can ask the driver to take a 'non toll' route - the tunnel attracts a toll of approx $5 to/from JFK whereas there's no toll (and a better view) if you go over the 59th St. bridge. It would however be unreasonable to ask the driver to go a long way out to save the toll - it depends where your hotel is - anywhere from say 40th street up would make the bridge viable. Some drivers have offered me the choice up front and asked which way I prefer.

As Bilmin says, having booked in advance, you call them once you have collected your luggage and cleared customs. There's a free phone number and you can use the phones in the arrivals hall. They give you the number of the car (sticker on side) and colour/description and the car should pull up outside after 5-10 mins.

Beware that if you take a taxi, which is a fixed price to Manhattan, it's wise to have enough cash on you to cover the cost - although they are supposed to take cards they often don't like it and claim the machine is broken etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dial 7

And, you can call a car service when you arrive. If they have a car close or at the airport they will take you. The problem is they could say they have an avaialable car, then you wait....

Carmel, Allstate, they're all OK - Dial 7 is not the only reliable car service in NYC.