We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

Hubbie and I are planning on going to nyc to see the macy's thanksgiving parade next year, 2010.

We would like to stay outside of the city and just take train or whatever into city. Any suggestions of where to stay and best way to get into city to see parade?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

My suggestion would be to stay in the city. To get a good spot to see the parade you have to be there at 6AM. You're not going to want to take any form of transpotration from outside the city early enough to get to the parade route by 6AM. Best to stay as close as you can afford to the route itself.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

Staying in New Jersey near a PATH train station or in Queens near a subway station are your best bets. Other options don't work as well, but the commuter rail (metro north, nj transit, long island rail road) all run on thanksgiving day, but the trains are packed. Any reason why you don't want to stay in Manhattan? If it is price tell us your budget, there may be better options for you.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

If you are coming to the city stay in the city--- you have a year to find the right place at a reasonable price.... Come back in about 6 months to start planning this. It is much too early other than to give you very broad and not very useful advice. This happens every year people sit around their warm living rooms all over the world and say "boy that would be fun we should go next year" lets see if you still feel the same way in 6 months. Then we can help you plan.

When you start we will need the exact dates of travel and per night room budget before taxes. But again wait to see if you really want to come.

ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

thanks for the advice. Actually I would prefer to stay in the city, hubbie is the one suggesting we stay outside and just travel into the city. I guess he is thinking budget.

Not sure on budget, but am guessing around 125.00 to 150.00 per night. I know hotels are expensive, we've stayed in Manhattan before. So those numbers may be very unreasonable to stay in Manhattan.

Anyway , any advice is great! I love NYC and am Definitely planning on this trip. dates would be 11/24/2010 to 11/28/2010.

Thanks!!

ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

yes, my thoughts exactly! thank you!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

Will you be driving in or flying and if flying what airport ?

ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

thanks for the advice, but it is Definitely something we are going to do! Just thought I would get thoughts and advice while I am thinking of it!

ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

driving from Columbus, Ohio.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

Ok look at the Country Inn and suites in Long Island City . You could book that today fully cancelable up until 48 hours before you are due... a king bed with a city view for $125 plus tax (15%)... it is walkable from the New York City subway and you can be in Manhattan in about 10 minutes.... You could book this and continue to look. I would do that and then compare it to what ever you might find in the coming months

ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: planning trip for next Thanksgiving to see the Parade...

great advice!!! Thank you soo much, I will look into this. Sounds like it would be perfect.