We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Surrey
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Would firstly like to say thanks for all the helpful tips and advice, which made the trip to NYC go all the more swimmingly.

Arrived at JFK from LHR on time (travelled Virgin Atlantic) and got through immigration and collected bags in about 35 minutes. We took a yellow cab and arrived at the hotel by 3pm (Sofitel) and after a quick freshen up we were straight back out again. First stop was Top of the Rock, we timed it perfectly and got to the top in ten minutes and saw the daylight and night time views. It really was a perfect start to the trip. From there we walked a bit of a loop to scope out the area and visited Grand Central Terminal and Bryant Park. We ate at the Bryant Grill and I have to say the steak was absolutely delicious. After a little wander around the craft fair we collapsed into bed about 10pm.

Day two (Saturday) we were up and out early and after breakfast at The Red Flame Diner we took in a tour of Central Park in a pedicab. We had pre-booked Tour Guide Stan who was great. He knows a lot about NYC as well as being very personable hence this was a great introduction to the city. We finished up the tour at Columbus Circle and from there we walked down Broadway to the Flatiron District taking in Times Square on the way. We had lunch at Mozzarellis (I am a coeliac and was able to have gluten free pizza – perfect!) and then continued the walk further south to Union Square before hailing a cab to take us to the New York Police Museum, which was really interesting. We then walked along by the river taking in the views of the Brooklyn Bridge and up to St Paul’s Chapel, which was very moving. As it was such a beautiful day we decided to continue walking and walked all the way back to the Sofitel on 44th – my feet were sore!! It was a great way to get a feel of the different areas of NYC though. That evening our legs and feet were pretty sore so we decided to stay in our hotel for dinner.

Sunday we were again up and about early, we checked out the shops on 5th Avenue and surrounds such as Prada, Bloomingdales, Abercrombie and Fitch (line to get in – sheer madness, needless to say we did not stand in line), FAO Swartz amongst many others. We were lucky enough to have another beautiful day and walked around Central Park and managed to see the Carousel, Alice in Wonderland, Hans Christian Anderson, Belvedere Castle and the tip of the Reservoir. It was then time for lunch and we went to another gluten free hot spot called Peter’s Gourmet Diner on 1st Avenue between 84th and 85th. After lunch my legs had refused to work for a short while so took the five subway one stop down to 59th for a little wander and then back to the hotel for a freshen up and recharge of the batteries. We wandered down to the Heartland Brewery for dinner followed by drinks at The View. I know it is a bit of a tourist trap but seeing the views of the city on our last night was a nice touch.

We returned home to London on the Monday but luckily our flight was not until 10pm so we had time for a wander around Greenwich Village and the East Village. We stopped for eats at S’Mac (gorgeous!) and Babycakes (delicious!).

The only thing we did not do that was on my tick list was to visit New York Public Library although we did zip past it in a cab at one stage!

All in all it was a great trip and we were so lucky to have two full days of blue skies and sunshine. Hope to return soon and see more of what the city has to offer!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Babycakes is AWESOME! Glad you found it.

I did not know that S'mac had a GF menul You learn something new every day...

Glad you enjoyed your visit and had such great weather. Thanks for the happy recap!

Level Contributor
36,700 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Sounds like a great time, I thought Central Park was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We were there on a gorgeous Fall day and enjoyed going out in a row boat on the lake and did a short carriage ride through the park one day. Memories I will cherish forever! :)

Wirral
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

I enjoyed reading your report, glad you had a whale of time. I am liking the fact that you walked from St Paul's chapel to 44th street back to your hotel, taking the advantage of the nice weather.

Hope your feets are well rested and happy!

Leicester
Level Contributor
210 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Spacecadetgirly - great trip report thanks for posting. I go in January so have a couple of questions for you!

What time did your flight land? Just trying to work out how long it took you to get bags and then get to hotel if you arrived at hotel at 3. We are also thinking about catching TOTR on our arrival day but might be a push as we land at 1.55pm and light will be going by 4.30-5 in Jan.

How much was your pedicab tour? and how long did it take?

What did you think to The View? Did you just go for drinks? We thought about either the buffet, just dessers or just drinks as I fancy going but I know it gets bad press from New Yorkers.

Thanks!

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Good for you for packing in so much fun! Thanks for sharing with us.

Surrey
Level Contributor
209 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Hi Jschocolate, we arrived at 12.20pm and it took about 40 minutes to get out of the airport and to the taxi rank (it may have been a quiet day in immigration though as day after Thanksgiving). We got a Yellow Cab which took about 40 minutes, the whole thing felt very quick. We walked down to TOTR for 4pm and it was perfect timing. To be honest though if you don't make it the first night go the second (if the weather is okay) as there was no queue to get in at all so no need to book ahead. If you land at 1.55pm you may be cutting it fine..

We just went for drinks at The View, if you decide to go try and go before 9pm as there is a $7 surcharge each if you go after. It did feel a little touristy I have to say but it was lovely to look out and see all the lights :-)

The Pedicab tour was $65 and we went with Stan, put Tour Guide Stan into google his web page will come up.

Have a great time, look forward to seeing your report.

Queensboulevard, the gluten free S'mac menu was gorgeous!!

SCG

Leicester
Level Contributor
210 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

Thanks SCG!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

tourguiestan charges a dollar a minute - I can testify that its well worth it.

We had 2 90 min tours - we had the CP tour and the village tour. Both are great

9. Re: Trip Report 27 - 30 November 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 05:16