We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

My mom took me to Manhattan when I was 16 and I will never forget it. I want to surprise her with a trip - I am now 37 and she's in her 60's. She uses a walker and has issues with bathing due to her disabilities. She NEEDS a seat in the shower and grab bars. It would be best if she had a shower head that detaches when needed for hand held use. She does not necessarily need a wheelchair roll-in shower as she is not in one. She is just unsteady. Can anyone help me plan this trip? I would prefer a somewhat centrally located hotel in Manhattan.

Thanks so much!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

I would suggest that you try the major chain hotels they are most likely to have these things in at least some of their rooms. Holiday Inn, Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton. When are you coming and for how many nights.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

This link lists a lot of hotels that offer rooms that those with disabilities are able to access. There are many. Some are noted as ADA compliant (Americans With Disabilities Act compliant):

yapta.com/Hotels-in-New-York-with-Handicappe…

None list specific shower attachments, but a grab bar is standard in almost all hotel rooms here. A shower seat may be rather difficult to get directly from the hotel; you might be able to rent one from a supply house or pharmacy in the City.

In any case, if you find something of interest, you'd do best to either call or email the hotel directly with specific questions.

Have a great time with your mother; it'll be a memorable trip for both of you.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

littleapple: Just a thought: You might consider having a wheelchair available for your mother's use in NYC. Although she may not generally need a wheelchair, a wheelchair might be a reasonable accomodation for her while she's using a handicap accessible shower. She also might appreciate the availability of a wheelchair for some of your touring days.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

I'm sure you'll find more of the same when you search, but Hampton Inn @ Madison Square Garden has hand-held showers and showers that will accomodate a wheelchair:

www.quikbook.com/getProfile.asp…

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

Thanks everyone.... I will look into the hotels and sites you suggested. :)

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

Would you come back and let us know what you found? This information can be added to a thread on the "Traveling With Disabilities" forum on TA:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12336-Travelin…

(I checked there last night for information that might help you, but I didn't find anything that would help. There's very little information re. travel specifically for the NYC visitor on that forum. Perhaps your information can start a new thread.) Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

Someone was recently looking for a hotel with roll in shower and I made a few phone calls. The Benjamin hotel (part of the Affinia.com group) has rooms with roll in showers so I'm sure those would accomodate a chair and have hand held showers. Whether the hotel itself has a chair, you'd have to find out. The problem with that hotel & some others for your purposes is I THINK all the rooms/suites only have queen or king beds, none with 2 beds. Some of the other Affinia hotels might work for your purposes though. I'd phone Affinia.

http://affinia.com/Page.aspx?name=Contact-Us

The San Carlos has some rooms with roll in shower and other rooms that are accessible for disabilities with tub, but again all the shower rooms have 1 bed (queen or king). Room 607 has a king bed and the kind of shower you want. The rooms with 2 beds seem to have tubs. The San Carlos includes continental breakfast.

http://www.sancarloshotel.com/

The NY HIlton is a big convention type hotel but in a great location and I'd guess they'd have a room that would work for you. I also phoned the Blakely hotel. They have "a few" disability rooms with 2 beds and a stall shower with a hand held shower head but they don't have chairs for the shower and the woman I spoke to was unsure whether a chair would fit in. This hotel also includes a cont. b/f and is a lovely smaller hotel.

blakelyhotelny.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

The New York Hilton and the new Hampton Inn on W. 35th Street have accessible rooms with 2 beds (double or queen), but you'll have to contact them to find out the bathroom particulars for those rooms.

9. Re: Need hotel with hand held shower, seat, and grab bars in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 05:33