We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

Are children under 18 given a gift allowance, I mean kids nowadays walk round with a fair bit of disposable income.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

I had a look on the customs website but couldnt not make any sense out of it, bump

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

All the site states is that anyone under 17 is not allowed the allowance for alcohol or tobacco.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

Its my understanding under 17's do not get any allowances at all.... I heard adults limit is up to £340 ish.... which is much better then the stingy £140? that it used to be....

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

I think they get usual allowance, its only cigarettes and alcohol they cant have til over 17.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

That would be great if he got an allowance too, after all we are paying full fair for him and he has a fair bit of pocket money saved for a 5 year old. none of us smoke and 2 litres of spirits will be fine to supplement our stocks at home.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

sad but just re read the HM customs.. and I now agree that under 17yrs have the same allowance.. just cannot bring cigs or booze in... Hope you have a great time...

7. Re: Gift/duty free allowance, usa to uk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 05:17