We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

directions for your taxi/car service driver

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
directions for your taxi/car service driver

If a tourist is staying outside Manhattan and in one of the other boros or even Westchester or NJ it is important that you have directions for your driver since they probably don't have navigation systems or know the neighborhood you are going to very well. Directions can be googled or mapquested or whatever website you prefer. Just print them off and have them ready when you get in the taxi.

This evening I was walking to my car when a taxi turned on my street. I rarely see a yellow taxi in my neck of the woods and it was going very slow so I knew the driver was lost. As I got closer to the taxi the back window opened an three women asked me how to get to Layton Avenue. Fortunately, they weren't too far out of their way and I happened to be going in that direction so I told them to follow me and they got to their destination. I then had to direct the driver back to the bridge so he could get back to JFK.

Anyway, while you may think a taxi driver should know their way around all of NYC, the truth is they don't so having directions will help them and you because that meter continues to run the longer you are lost!

Saginaw Mi
Level Contributor
468 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

Great advice--thank you !! I plan on doing this as well as listing cross streets for all the places we want to go in my little notebook I'm taking for our trip. As a first time visitor I want to be prepared for whatever information might be needed. This might be "over preparedness" for some but peace of mind for me.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

mpjones75 - I hope you're not planning to use cabs are car service exclusively as the subway will often be quicker and more economical. Please let us know if you need any help with how to get to / from your hotel and the places you'd like to go using the subway.

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

MoreFFmiles,

As much as I belive in public transportation, and lovew the MTA, there are situations where taxis make more sense -- for visitors and locals. In an earlier thread, mpJones makes a good case for the breaking the "never take cabs" taboo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3210922…

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

Oops!,

Just saw that you said "exclusively" ... Sorry!!

AS you know you, there are some dogmatic anti-taxi zealots in NYC (and on this forum), so I felt the need to refute that argument. I see now that's not your point. My bad!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

If one is going to an address outside of Manhattan from the airport the best advice is to do a google maps or mapquest to the address that shows turns. That way if the driver is befuddled you can always hand him the directions. There are usually a few roads they will recognize.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,770 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

And always be aware that a New York City cab has no obligation to take you to any address outside New York City (except for Newark Airport) and can negotiate for any fare they feel like asking for.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

This has been mitigated somewhat by cabs having GPS maps. You can also use Google Maps Mobile on your smartphone and tell the guy where to go.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

The reason is that taxis rarely venture outside Manhattan.

PS there is a GPS in the back of the cab but it seems to be for entertainment only

9. Re: directions for your taxi/car service driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2010, 05:19