We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to NYC

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to NYC

We'll be going into NYC for a day trip, to see the tree and wander around. I'm looking for recommendations on where to eat (not too expensive, cuisine flexible but 1 of us does not eat red meat) and what to see/do. We thought we'd take the train into Grand Central, head over to Central Park (not sure what the high lights are), then work our way over to Rockefeller Center and see the tree. I'm seeking input!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to NYC

Where are you coming from? Are you planning on staying for dinner, or just for lunch?

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to NYC

We're taking the train in from CT. We aren't sure what time we'll be heading back, but it won't be very late, so dinner might be "to go" and eaten on the train. It's a mid-week day trip, which means back-to-work the next morning.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to NYC

If you come on a Wednesday you can catch a Broadway matinee check www.broadwaybox.com for ticket availability.

Go to www.centralpark.com for info on the park.

Are you from Durham, CT??

I live in Meriden - visit NYC frequently.

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to NYC

Poppa,

Yes, I'm in Durham, CT. Small world :)

thanks for any info.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to NYC

I would plan a few things indoors, as it could well be cold and wet during your visit.

How many people are you, how old are you, and what else are you interested in seeing?

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to NYC

2 adults, 50 and 60 years old, ok to walk if the weather is ok, or subway or taxi. Any museum suggestions, dining suggestions, special holiday exhibits?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to NYC

Museums - I like the Metropolitan M of Art and the AMNatHistory.....

The Met has a photo exhibit by Robert Frank 'The Americans' very interesting. It's on til jan 3, 2010.

Poppa

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to NYC

The Met is basically located in Central Park, and it's the best museum in NYC. Definitely plan on a visit there.

As for food- what's your budget per person without drinks, and what's your preferred cuisine?

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
42 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to NYC

Alice,

We like a variety of cuisines, but would probably lean toward middle eastern. Budget - lunch probably about $10 - $20 per person, dinner probably $15 - $25 per person, since we are not looking for a long, fancy dinner, but will need to catch a train home. Thanks for sharing what you know :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to NYC

Akdeniz is a popular Turkish place on 46th b/t 5th and 6th, close to Rockefeller Center:

http://www.akdenizturkishusa.com/

As far as special holiday activities go, you'll be close to several of the famous window displays (though not Macy's):

…about.com/od/…holiday_windows.htm

I agree that the Met is wonderful, but since you're only here for the day and planning on spending a good chunk of it in Midtown, you might consider MoMA as well (provided that you like modern art).