We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of staying on Long Island

Hope, RI
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
Thinking of staying on Long Island

We are thinking of staying on Long Island the week after Christmas and taking the train into the city two or three days. We are quite familiar with Manhattan but have never been to Long Island. What area would you suggest that would have easy access to the train? Also - what areas would be good for a couple of driving day trips?

Thanks,

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

I would look at the map for the Long Island Railway and try to stay in a town (many people prefer the North shore) that actually has a station. The further out you stay the longer it will take and the more expensive but not prohibitive.

Others can tell you their favorite towns for this time of year and any special events. The map of the LIRR can give you the time and cost to commute in.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

What are you looking for on Long Island? It's not the first place I'd think of for a winter vacation, and many people seem to have a rather inflated idea of what the place actually is.

Hope, RI
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

I do not know. We have always stayed in Manhattan and someone suggested staying on Long Island. I thought we would spend a few days in each area. At this point it is only a thought.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

Much of Long Island is actually just suburban but other places are more small town... there is a Long Island TA forum I believe. You may want to post the same question there. I suspect they have a different take than a city girl like

Alice.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

You might want to think a little more, then. Long Island is a 100 mile-long suburb known mostly for its plentiful strip malls, strong accent, and summertime beaches. You won't be spending too much time on the beach in December.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

"Long Island" is very vague. You should be aware that Long Island as a whole is a third again larger than your entire state, and has about six times the population of RI&PP. There are four counties on Long Island, two of which -- Kings and Queens -- form the greater part of the area (and population) of the City of New York. Many people forget that these two are actually on Long Island, and the term "Long Island" frequently is used in a way that excludes the NYC portions -- which means that the term usually is not used to refer to the place where the majority of the people who actually live on the island itself in fact dwell. The term usually is reserved to refer to the two eastern counties, which are Nassau and Suffolk. As the eastern end of Suffolk County is 120 miles from Manhattan, we are talking about quite a few possibilities here, ranging from densely urban to farms and vineyards.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

P.S. I spend more time than I care to in one of the small towns on the North Fork, and I'm actually a fan of small towns. However, I am not a fan of Long Island, especially for a vacation, and REALLY especially for a vacation in the winter.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

I happen to agree with you Alice but at least the OP won't have to worry about illegal B&B's once they get out of the city.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,635 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

Jeff, let me make a suggestion. It sounds like you want to see New York again, but you've done most of Manhattan. Why not stay in Brooklyn instead, and explore that borough? You can get to Manhattan on the subway, but you'll have essentially a whole other city to get to know during your trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of staying on Long Island

Is it possible they said "Long Island City?"

a part of Queens on the subway system that is a quick trip into Manhattan

actually, Ive spent many a winter weekend out in Kismet, Fire Island and it can be lovely (if you have a deep well or dont mind brackish water!) but you need a lot of food and alcohol stocked up!