We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

I offered to buy a holiday gift for my husband's administrative assistant. She is in her late twenties and fairly conservative and lives in NYC. I don't live in NYC but will be there this week. The budget is about $300. A gift certificate to a spa might be nice, but which spa? Is there a great restaurant recommendation? ShalI play it safe with a gift certificate to Macy's? Saks?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

Unless you know of a specific restaurant or type of food she likes, I'd go with Macy's/Bloomingdale's or (maybe) the spa.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

Not everyone would like the Spa either.... I would go with one of the major department stores... $300?? your husband must work in Finance they are the only ones that have money for such things these days.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

It's my husband and a co-worker's together and I suggested buying her the gift since she is incredible and I thought she deserved a personal gift from them. I tend to agree about the spa being questionable, since I'm not big on spas. I'm not in NYC a lot and not a big shopper so I wasn't sure if a particular store would be more appealing to a twenty-something, which I am not. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

You probably can't wrong getting a gift certificate to Bloomingdale's - much to choose from; you could choose the more expensive Henri Bendel, which would probably make any female happy.

You might also choose Sephora - she can buy a ton of her makeup, hair and face products, etc there - they have a lot of products to choose from.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

Unless you are really sure of her tastes, sometimes cash is the best gift.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

What about a gift certificate or gift from Tiffany's? If she's conservative, she likely won't treat herself. Or something from a designer store like Chanel or Louis Vuitton or Cole Haan for a handbag? If she doesn't like it she can exchange it. If you give her a gift certificate from Macy's or Bloomies, she may not splurge on herself. If you decide to do that, Bloomies is imo better.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

Hey love thecape:-) The spa certificate would indeed be wonderful since you have a number of great choices offered at various hotels here..Remede comes to mind;-) Bottom line though, if you really don't know her interests, maybe just an AMEX holiday gift card would be best since she can then use it anywhere..whether it's a spa, store, restaurant...Sounds like she'll really enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

I too would hesitate on the spa idea if you are not sure she would enjoy it - I still have such a certificate someone gave me sitting here for two years because I can't sit still long enough to suffer through the services offered by a spa - some people love them - most of the people I know for example - You can't get me to go under any circumstance - so, be certain before you go for that choice - she could be an oddity like myself.

The AMEX card is a nice idea but I think something from a nice shop or store seems more personal somehow - though they gift certificates are somewhat impersonal. At least if you chose a nice store, it would show you did put some thought into it vs. an Amex gift card. Just a thought.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

Honestly? A young secretary would probably appreciate money more then anything. I would get her an American Express gift card, so that she can use it where she wants and for what she wants. She could even pay a bill with it.

Level Contributor
34,451 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gift Suggestions - NYC Spa, Restaurant, Gift Certificate?

I love the Saks in NYC, it is a beautiful store with first-class service. I loved shopping there when we were in NYC a few weeks ago. Merry Christmas! :)