We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dyker Heights Information

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Dyker Heights Information

BA permitting, my partner and I are coming to New York 29th December for 4 nights. She mentioned yesterday that she had seen something about Dyker Heights and as the info on here is a bit 'all over the place' I wondered if somebody could give some concise information all in one go.

My main questions are:

Is it easy to do completely on foot?

What is the easiest way to get there from the Grand Hyatt Manhatten?

When/what is the best time to visit? (New Years day would be good for us).

Any tips that we obviously don't know about having not been before?

We are particularly interested because we live in a village just outside the County town of Kent, and 3 miles from us is an area in Maidstone that people consider a little 'rough'. There are 3 or 4 houses that transform themselves into Christmas wonderlands and are so far over the top that people come from all over the area to take a look. (Everyone swears that they are all plugged unofficially into the local street lighting and nobody slows down in case their hubcaps go missing)! However, they are probably only 'rough diamonds' as they do collect money from viewers for charity, generally thrown into buckets as everyone drives past.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dyker Heights Information

1. It is not easy to do on foot as it goes for blocks and blocks and it is all single family houses... If you get to a few main streets you will see a lot.

2. Use Hopstop.com and put in the name of your hotel and Dyker Heights and it will map your route for you on subway... again you will have some walking after the subway and it is not easy so map out your trip before hand.

3. Don't know if they will be on New Years day but I read they are only on between 7 and 9pm...each night.. If you put Dyker Heights lights into google search you probably will find the up to date info.

4. The area is perfectly safe to walk around. You will also see some people collecting money here .. Charity ???? I don't know...

5. Found out last night my wife is dragging me there again this year but I have a car. For a slight fee I will let you use my car if you take my wife !

LOL

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dyker Heights Information

Thanks for the quick response.

I assume I can only take your wife as far as the lights!

LOL

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dyker Heights Information

I know that you want to do it yourself, but just wanted to let you know that Goldstar currently has a 1/2 off deal for the tour for December 30th:

http://www.goldstar.com/events/32374.html

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dyker Heights Information

Honestly Purrfecttune--- I would seriously consider what Crans has presented to you from Goldstar---- for an out of towner I think it is an ok way

to see the lights.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dyker Heights Information

This just came in my email:

…about.com/od/…dyker_heights01-jpg.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dyker Heights Information

The area is perfectly safe and theoretically doable on foot, but inadvisable as its cold. I think the tour is your best option.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dyker Heights Information

Thanks for all the info, the tour looks perfect.

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dyker Heights Information

I booked using the goldstar discount a couple of weeks ago, for this coming Sunday (20 December) and then had the tour cancelled a couple of days ago with a refund.

When I checked at Zerve, which the tour company use to sell the tickets at full price it said the date was sold out. And now today, Zerve says that tickets are now available for that date, so why were my goldstar ones cancelled then?

I saw previously that a number of previous dates on Goldstar had been cancelled - could this have been because the company had sold more at full price?

Any thoughts on what I can do - complain to Goldstar or Asliceofbrookyln?

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dyker Heights Information

That is discouraging--- most of us of course do not go on this tour and I am not sure exactly what is happening.. I had not heard or seen any complaints about goldstar but if you have that information I would question whomever you bought the tickets from. I think you have a legitimate question and complaint. Also report back what you find here so we can file it away

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dyker Heights Information

Hi thanks for the reply

I e-mailed Asliceofbrooklyn and the owner got back to me really quickly who explained they canceled for a film crew who subsequently changed the dates and that is why it went back up for sale.

He's agreed to honour the price we paid on Goldstar, so hopefully we're going again on Sunday. Will provide an update afterwards - it looks like a fantastic tour.