We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying metro passes with credit cards

Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
buying metro passes with credit cards

Please refresh my memory-- regardless of whether you buy from the attendant or the machine, a credit card can be swiped onl y 2 times before it is shut down for futher purchases? If I want to buy more than two, I need cash or second credit card? Couldn't find anything explaining this on MTA's site. . . . There's 5 of us traveling this weekend and I seem to remember having similar trouble when purchasing passes for a large group who traveled this past summer. . . Thx for the help.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

You are correct. My family of four had to use two different cards to buy ours in November.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

The attendants take cash only.

Machines take cash or credit or debit cards, Non USA residents, when asked for zip (postal) code enter 99999. There are some small machines that only take cards.

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

Just to add, when we were there this week/last week, it wouldn't accept my debit card, and with my credit card, I just used my English post code. It has been this way in recent visits (for me). Wasn't aware of the 99999 thing.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

how can you type in your english postcode, when there are no letters to choose from?

i normally pick a random nyc zip code and it's worked for me on my AmEx card... some debit cards don't work well in NYC when you choose "debit" and you would have to choose "credit" and it will work (as a debit card)

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

Are you sure because I certainly didn't work out corresponding numbers to suit....and I've done it previously, by design or default I've got my cards. As above, until today I didn't know re 99999. I'll use that in future.

Moncton, Nb
Level Contributor
104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

Hehe we've always entered 90210 because that's the one US Zip code burned in our brains hehe.

England
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

M4RKM...enlighten me.

Edited: 20 December 2009, 01:31
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

You can just use cash if you have to buy five. Use two credit cards for four of them and if you don't have a third credit card, just use cash. I use cash all the time.

9. Re: buying metro passes with credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2010, 05:17