We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

We are going to NYC for 2 nights - Feb 26th thru 28th!

I have been to NYC before and done the touristy things, and friend has not. So I am sure we will hit the most impt things to her.

We wanted to stay near midtown, and I see some good deals on hotwire (less than $200 per nt) but am having trouble figuring out which hotels they are (been to betterbidding.com but it looks like I am having trouble matching them up) OR, expedia has some deals with the W hotels, Hilton, Omni, Waldorf Astoria between $200 and $300 per nt. Any suggestions on where to stay and who to book through?

Also, my friend wants to have a blast with food and drink - has been told to try Stanton Social, Cambells Apt, Ginos, the Greenwich Food Tour, Pastis for brunch, Serafina, and a stop at Serendipity. Please rule out any that you think are not worth it.

About Broadway, we narrowed it to Jersey Boys, Chicago, and wicked but need to pick one. Opinions also on going to matinee vs. 8:00 show?

We just are going to be without kids and excited to have a mommy's trip away and be with each other's best friend! Opinions please! Thanks so much!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Gino's and Serafina are nothing special -- they're just mediocre chains. Many locals would tell you that Serendipity is a tourist trap, but if you can get in without waiting in line, it might be worth it. Campbell Apartment is very nice, but requires appropriate dress (no jeans, no sneakers). Stanton Social is not as trendy as it once was, but can still be a lot of fun with a group.

If you'd like more recommendations for restaurants and bars, let us know what sorts of food and atmosphere, as well as a budget/person.

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Quikbook.com and Hotels.com have been having some fabulous sales. (I got the Belleclaire for $77 a night for my trip next week.) I'd try those sites over Hotwire since you'll know exactly which hotel you're getting.

"Chicago" will be much easier to get than "Wicked" or "Jersey Boys" plus it'll probably have a discount code. The shows are very different, so which one is at the top of your list? Since your trip is short, I'd buy my tickets before I came to save any standing any line time. Have a great trip!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Thanks so far...

We want to stay in a neat area, but out of the direct Times Square area. Would love to stay at a hotel that has a bar area and comfy rooms, spend anywhere from $150 to $275 per night. Would love to know the cool hotels to stay at in midtown.

Not really sure what Broadway show we want to see the most. Maybe Jersey Boys? Trying to narrow down, might be between Jersey Boys or Wicked?

As far as eating and drinking, those are our top priorities of the trip! We want really good food and drink with neat atmosphere. It is just the 2 of us girls, so not really a place where you need a huge group to have a good time.

Opinions on the food tour?

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Or would the trip be more memorable if we see Hairspray or Legally blonde? Should we go for the best selling top shows like Jersey/Wicked or more fun? Want a very memorable trip!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Both Jersey Boys and Wicked are not discounted and sell out regularly so if you have your dates you would be well advised to book those tickets now. I just got tickets last night for Jersey Boys and I can tell you good seats are already well into February. Wicked seems to be the hottest show out there now but i have no interest. This production of Chicago is regularly panned as not so good so I would eliminate that one immediately and choose the best seats you can afford on the date you want from the other two.

Your list of restaurants was obviously made by a fellow tourist, Any of the hotels you mention would be acceptable to me with the idea that you don't want to spend too much time in the room anyway. Go for the best deal but make sure the reservations can be canceled as that time of year deals are sure to come up sometime in the next month or so but I would get a room so you know you have a place to sleep. I always book directly through the hotel. People think they are getting a deal on other sites but reading the fine print you either get the bottom of the barrel rooms or there are other restrictions.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Gotech ---- I believe that both Hairspray and Legally Blond are long gone and you missed them--- look on www.broadwaybox.com and others for lists of current shows

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

The Hotel at Times Square, the Hotel Stanford and Wellington are all offering discounts during your time frame. i like to book with the hotel because most let you cancel up to 24 hours before your stay, if needed.

Restaurants - LeZie, Giorgio's of Gramercy, Pietransantr, Rachel's, Toloache, Becco are some we have eaten in recently.

Get out of midtown and find a nice neighborhood place.

Poppa

Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

Although I haven't seen Jersey Boy, I'd whole-heartedly recommend seeing Wicked-- it's about the tried and true friendship between two women-- seems appropriate for your visit! It's also got a great message, it's funny, it's a love story, but, most importantly, it's soundtrack will stay with you for long after your visit has ended-- I think it's second in that regard only to Rent . . I loved it and think it is a show not to be missed. . . don't know where you're traveling from but if a Friday night show will work for you, there's still decent seats in the front row of the mezzanine that night-- totally worth the $133+ per night, imo. . . Just got back from a weekend trip, seeing both Avenue Q and Next to Normal. Of those two, iIf you are looking for a traditional broadway feel with great music and performances but aren't necessarily needing a light-hearted storyline, I'd also suggest seeing N2N--good chance that you and your friend will both be in tears by the end of the show since it's billed as "not a feel good show but a feel EVERYTHING show"-- a very accurate description. . .

New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

All those shows are different. YOu an most likely get discounted tickets for Chicago, not for the other 2.

I would see Jersey Boys.

It does not matter whether you go matinee or at night. the performances will be equally good.

If you like 80's music (Def Leppard, Journey, etc....) there is a really fun shwow called ROCK OF AGES. Far from a traditional broadway musical, but tons of fun.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Trip - 2 best friends, 30th birthday - hotels/itenerar

We booked the Iroquois, just because hotels.com had a great deal. Now we are still deciding on Broadway. I think Chicago will have the best prices and best seats.